PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-03-29, 04:37:21
News: Forum TIP:
The SHOUT BOX deletes messages after 3 hours. It is NOT meant to have lengthy conversations in. Use the Chat feature instead.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Old Engines  (Read 6080 times)

Group: Elite Experimentalist

Buy me some coffee
Well I may not be around as much any more guy's,nor doing so much of the !free energy! stuff,as today was the start of my new business,which is restoring vintage machinery. O0

This came about via word of mouth,after i restored a couple of old engines for my employer.
Once there was enough demand,i decided to go ahead and see how it go's.
ATM i have 7 people wanting there old engines and tractors restored,and so now have a total of 16 old engines and 2 tractors awaiting there turn in the shop.

The first one is a doozey.
Neither myself or the guy who owns it, have seen another like it.
I dont seem to be able to find the model on the net anywhere  ???--> Grum ?

It is a Fairbanks D series--6HP diesel.

This one was found sitting on top of a dam wall some 14 years ago,so were guessing it was used to pump water at one stage.

As you can see in the pics below,there was a fair bit of water damage,and the piston was stuck solid.
It took me nearly 2 hours to get it out,but she came out.
A quick rough sand,and 10 minutes with the hone,and the bore is looking good--besides the two large gouges,due to the gudgeon pin drifting to one side of the piston. Not sure how it moved across to one side yet,as they are a pressed in pin.
But we should be ok,as the top ring on the piston dose not go down that far at BDC.

So Grum,if you know of this motor,and have a couple of pic's,i would appreciate that,as im chasing the original colors/color scheme it was painted in. I can find many of the Fairbanks 6HP gasoline hit and miss engines,but not the 6HP diesel  :o

Brad

---------------------------
Never let your schooling get in the way of your education.

Group: Ambassador

Now that is good news , ....You can use your own shop?[no extra rent}

perfect setup ....long time coming

wishing you success

Group: Experimentalist

Buy me a beer
I think it is this one :)

Regards

Mike 8)

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident."
Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

As a general rule, the most successful person in life is the person that has the best information.

Buy me some coffee
I think it is this one :)

Regards

Mike 8)

No,it's not that one Mike--very different.

The barrel and water jacket unbolt from the crank case on the one i have--see pic below showing bolts.
It also has a mechanical-all in one injector/injector pump.

Brad

Buy me some coffee
Now that is good news , ....You can use your own shop?[no extra rent}

perfect setup ....long time coming

wishing you success

Should be a hoot Chet.

I have been given an old 5hp diesel,and so that one will be converted to run on waste motor oil.

Group: Renaissance Man

Buy me a cigar
Hi Brad.

I might have found it ??   And what a rare beast !!

http://www.coolspringpowermuseum.org/Publications/Flywheel/Flywheel_201210.htm

Not a true " Diesel " in the sense of the word but a compression ignition Paraffin/Kerosene engine using the Brons/Hvid patents.

Cheers Grum.

Nanny state ? Left at the gate !! :)

Buy me some coffee
Hi Brad.

I might have found it ??   And what a rare beast !!

http://www.coolspringpowermuseum.org/Publications/Flywheel/Flywheel_201210.htm

Not a true " Diesel " in the sense of the word but a compression ignition Paraffin/Kerosene engine using the Brons/Hvid patents.

Cheers Grum.

Hi Grum

Thanks so much for your help,and that is the one--and yes,a very rare motor  O0
No wonder he(the owner) had not seen another like it here down under,or been able to find any info on it.

The top of the injector/pump piston rod (which i have not been able to get out yet)is completely rusted away,and i bet there would be no getting parts for this one,so looks like i have some machining to do.

Anyway,i'll keep the update coming on these restoration projects.

Grum (and all)
Feel free to post some pics and the associated stories of your old engines,along with home made fuel runs  O0

Brad

Buy me some coffee
Well,the Fairbanks (pic 1) is coming along nicely.
It took 3 hours and 12 ton's of force to get the piston out-but we got it. O0

I also picked up the motor i have have been waiting for,and Grum will know this one for sure.
The second pic is of my 3.5hp Bamford diesel.
This has been sitting for some 14 years in a shed,and for an unknown amount of time in the paddock it was rescued from.
Here is the kicker.
I cranked it over by hand,hit the decompressor,and it fired straight up--on the fuel that has been in the lines for the 14+ years  :o

I have already fitted the altistarter to it--you can see the belt on the flywheel.
This one will be the one used for the water as fuel experiments.

Brad

Buy me a cigar
Hi Brad.

I like the Bamford diesel, they are quite rare. Note the hinged crankcase for easy access and maintenance.

Bamford's of Uttoxeter came late into the game, introducing their first engine in the early 1920's. Run latterly by two brothers Richard and J C.... Put the letters together.... JCB  now world famous earth movers. Richard stuck with the agricultural side but competition from the bigger names killed his business.

I'm actually building one of my engines from rejected castings ATM , take a look at the epicyclic gearbox. ;)

Cheers Graham.

Group: Ambassador

test

{Hercules} thermoil ??

Economy Petrol ?

Buy me a cigar
test

{Hercules} thermoil ??

Economy Petrol ?

Hi Chet and Brad.

Yes, now I remember.... Fairbanks, not to be associated with Fairbanks,Morse were engine sellers. They " Badge " engineered engines sold everywhere around the world. I have had a few myself!!

I feel you have got a Hercules Engine Company of Evansville,  Illinois manufactured but badged and sold by Faibanks.

Cheers Grum.

PS. I see you have joined Smokestack..... very useful for engines from over the pond !!   ;)
« Last Edit: 2017-09-24, 20:41:09 by Grumage »

Buy me some coffee
Hi Chet and Brad.

Yes, now I remember.... Fairbanks, not to be associated with Fairbanks,Morse were engine sellers. They " Badge " engineered engines sold everywhere around the world. I have had a few myself!!

I feel you have got a Hercules Engine Company of Evansville,  Illinois manufactured but badged and sold by Faibanks.

Cheers Grum.

PS. I see you have joined Smokestack..... very useful for engines from over the pond !!   ;)

Hi Grum.

Yes,that is correct.
Many companies bought,re-badged,and sold the thermoil type engin's with the HVID injection system.

However,the fairbanks i have seems to be slightly different than all the others i can find,and i cannot find any info on this model of fairbanks engine.

If you look at the pics below,you can see the strengthening ribs next to the barrel bolts on the Hercules-as will all other models of the re-badged thermoils--but there are none on the fairbanks model-->the fairbanks seems to be the only model without them.

I also added a pic of the engine ID plate.

Brad

Buy me a cigar
Hi Brad.

There's many a mystery engine, I have at least 5 in my collection of " small power " town gas engines, they're given the simple title of " unknown "!

You could have one of the early Hercules engines that survived, if you read that article I linked to, they had to redesign it due to the heavy stresses involved. Or....

The plates engine number jumped out at me....  VEB Could it stand for Emerson Brantingham? We may never know.

As a by the way, the only engine built here in the UK using the Brons patent was the Ransomes " Wizard " these are very rare as they also broke.... Literally.

Cheers Graham.

Buy me some coffee
What about this one Grum?
Would love to have that running in my back yard--along with the big thumper exhaust tube lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQnxv9h0oFw

Brad

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-03-29, 04:37:21