PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-03-29, 07:14:27
News: Check out the Benches; a place for people to moderate their own thread and document their builds and data.
If you would like your own Bench, please PM an Admin.
Most Benches are visible only to members.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
Author Topic: Ricks best video's  (Read 57699 times)
Group: Elite

It's turtles all the way down
Methinks someone here should educate themselves on the subject of self capacitance.  It may seem strange to talk about a one-terminal capacitor, but that is exactly what self capacitance is.  And it is via that self capacitance that the aircraft is connected to ground, or more precisely is connected to a zero potential reference.  It is a fact that two isolated spheres separated by any large distance has a mutual capacitance between them that is the series combination of their self capacitances.  That is a form of coupling that goes via that ground or zero potential point.  That mutual capacitance can carry current.  Why do I know this?  I spent a good part of my professional career studying capacitance proximity fuzes for missiles.

Smudge

Agreed, and all the "one wire transmission of power" enthusiasts seem to neglect this, as well as the "Avramenko" plug jargon that neglects the stray capacitance  that does the charging  of the main capacitor.

---------------------------
"Secrecy, secret societies and secret groups have always been repugnant to a free and open society"......John F Kennedy

Group: Guest
Brad,
As I said on the private thread sometime back, I really don't have the time for this right now. I only lingered on for so long on this thread and OU because I had to bring that mess to a completion. I spent way more time on all this than I should have. I don't regret it, but I have too much business to attend to to worry about these little children playing games. It's been really funny at times. But it just goes nowhere. If I come back in another 5 years I'm sure everyone will be exactly in the same places as before. Maybe moved on to another personality. As I said the other day, the only free time I have will be spent on the website as that is far more important than answering people who just ignore my words anyway. I spent last weekend doing that when I could have done much more on the website. I'm sure everyone will continue to have fun attacking me, and looking silly doing that. As long as you are having fun boys!
Rick

Group: Elite Experimentalist

Buy me some coffee
In a tank circuit the inductor is a current source, not a voltage source.

This part has always bothered me.

In order for there to be a current flow,there has to be a potential difference-a voltage.

It is said that the inductor is a current source,and the capacitor a voltage source,when infact,the charged capacitor can deliver far more current at a lower voltage than an inductor,and a charged inductor can produce a far greater voltage than a charged capacitor.
As both are charged,then they become the source.

So why do they say that the inductor is a current source when a capacitor can deliver more current,and a capacitor is a voltage source when an inductor can produce a higher voltage than a capacitor.

Seems all ass about to me.

Brad

Never let your schooling get in the way of your education.

Group: Tinkerer

Quote from: Ion
I'm just a roll my sleeves up, hit the bench, consult the
books when needed, and "git her done" kind of guy.

Aye, many of us are cut from that same cloth.

With practice, one can get really good at finding answers
to difficult questions.

Professional highly educated Engineers will gladly admit
that their real education began with their first job.

Learning to think and act independently is a great skill.

Quote from: TinMan
It is said that the inductor is a current source,and the
capacitor a voltage source,when infact,the charged
capacitor can deliver far more current at a lower
voltage than an inductor,and a charged inductor can
produce a far greater voltage than a charged capacitor.

So why do they say that the inductor is a current source
when a capacitor can deliver more current,and a
capacitor is a voltage source when an inductor can
produce a higher voltage than a capacitor.

Hmmm.  I've never heard it explained quite like that before.

Do they mean that in DC circuitry an Inductor tends to
stabilize current flow and a Capacitor tends to stabilize
Voltage?

In AC circuitry the Inductor tends to limit current flow
and the Capacitor tends to limit voltage excursions?

Agreed that Voltage and Current must co-exist in any
application where work is being done.

For there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed, and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open.

This part has always bothered me.

In order for there to be a current flow,there has to be a potential difference-a voltage.

It is said that the inductor is a current source,and the capacitor a voltage source,when infact,the charged capacitor can deliver far more current at a lower voltage than an inductor,and a charged inductor can produce a far greater voltage than a charged capacitor.

So why do they say that the inductor is a current source when a capacitor can deliver more current,and a capacitor is a voltage source when an inductor can produce a higher voltage than a capacitor.

Seems all ass about to me.

Brad

Brad:

A "current source" means that the source will deliver the same desired current regardless of load impedance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Current_source

A  ideal current source is a very high voltage( near infinite) source  with a very large (near infinite) resistor from that high voltage source to the object of interest. It is able to maintain it's preset current level regardless of load resistance or impedance variations, because compared to the impedance of the supply, which is very high, the load impedance is rather low.

Common power supplies do not have near infinite voltage and high value resistors to limit the current and since the headroom on the supply is limited to less than 100 Volts, electronic current limiting is used to simulate the ideal current source, but should the load require higher voltage than is built into the power supply, the current will fall off and not be maintained..

You can test this with your power supply in current limit mode and watch what happens when you exceed the power supply output voltage capability, the current will fall off.

A discharging inductor can dump it's current into nearly any load impedance, it doesn't care. If the impedance of the load is very low or very high, it automatically adjusts it's output to maintain current flow.

An inductor does not care that a capacitor instantaneously represents a low impedance to the inductor, it will output a steady current into that capacitor to charge it, with near zero loss.

I know it's hard to wrap one's head around these concepts and maybe I don't explain it very well or mathematically, but with a few experiments with your existing supply you will get it. When you come to fully grasp the difference, you arrive at a new plateau of being able to understand the nuances of how circuits work.

(there are some degreed EE's that don't fully understand it, but it is really very simple)

Read some of the stuff on this page for a better explanation.

https://www.google.com/search?q=current+source+vs+voltage+source&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

Voltage sources are the opposite of current sources, where the impedance of the load against the voltage setting determines how much current flows out of the supply.

Regards
« Last Edit: 2019-07-26, 01:56:54 by ion »

"Secrecy, secret societies and secret groups have always been repugnant to a free and open society"......John F Kennedy

Group: Administrator

It's not as complicated as it may seem...
Even a reversed biased diode in series with an LED has enough capacitance to light the LED at high frequencies.

Brad

So what might that tell you about how much "rectifying" is actually taking place in those "active" bulbs?

Happy trails Rick, and good luck with the web site.

We'll all be keeping our eyes peeled for any discovery/demonstration of OU from your camp.

Buy me some coffee
So what might that tell you about how much "rectifying" is actually taking place in those "active" bulbs?

As the diodes in the bulb circuit would not be HF diodes,due to the bulbs normal opperating frequency of 50-60 Hz, there would be next to no rectification taking place across that FWBR at 1-1.2MHz-Ricks opperating frequency.

Brad

Group: Mad Scientist

Methinks someone here should educate themselves on the subject of self capacitance.  It may seem strange to talk about a one-terminal capacitor, but that is exactly what self capacitance is.  And it is via that self capacitance that the aircraft is connected to ground, or more precisely is connected to a zero potential reference.  It is a fact that two isolated spheres separated by any large distance has a mutual capacitance between them that is the series combination of their self capacitances.  That is a form of coupling that goes via that ground or zero potential point.  That mutual capacitance can carry current.  Why do I know this?  I spent a good part of my professional career studying capacitance proximity fuzes for missiles.

Smudge

Thx Smudge; I was actually playing with TinMan's discussion on grounded vs ungrounded AV plugs. :P
I think there may be some confusion between earth ground and reference ground ('zero potential point' as you state).  Both may have the same coulomb charge density, but one would have a MUCH higher self-capacity.

In reality, any two bodies with a difference in coulomb charge density would constitute a charged capacitor between them.
Not that this line-of-thought necessarily leads us to any meaningful conclusions, except perhaps using displacement currents to pump free electrons from the earth or something similar.  This would have to be modeled of course.

I'm sure you got all kinds of interesting tips working with such interesting hardware Smudge ;).  I suspect that nearby switching power supplies were a constant source of headaches for you?  C.C
« Last Edit: 2019-07-26, 05:37:11 by Reiyuki »

When you say something is impossible, you have made it impossible

......A discharging inductor can dump it's current into nearly any load impedance, it doesn't care. If the impedance of the load is very low or very high, it automatically adjusts it's output to maintain current flow.

An inductor does not care that a capacitor instantaneously represents a low impedance to the inductor, it will output a steady current into that capacitor to charge it, with near zero loss.............

Regards

Good day Ion.

Exactly..... that is why I in my designs I always charge a Capacitor Bank through an Inductor.  That "instantaneous low impedance" of the capacitor bank will look just like a nasty short circuit to the power supply and the series inductor permits a lower di/dt (charge rate).

take care, peace
lost_bro

Group: Experimentalist

Another way to look at an L and C is that an inductor will attempt to maintain a constant current irregardless of the voltage across it's terminals and a capacitor will attempt to maintain a constant voltage irregardless of the current drawn from it's terminals.

Grasping these simple concepts can lead to interesting results.  For example, most discrete built constant current sources work with fixed polarities however, an inductor current source can operate bipolar.  Try making a discrete current source flow positive from a negative source to a positive sink.  An inductor can accomplish this easily.

Regards,
Pm 

Buy me some coffee
  Try making a discrete current source flow positive from a negative source to a positive sink.  An inductor can accomplish this easily.

Regards,
Pm

Yes,because the inductors voltage invert's once it become the current source,and not the current sink.

Brad

Buy me some coffee
Brad,
As I said on the private thread sometime back, I really don't have the time for this right now. I only lingered on for so long on this thread and OU because I had to bring that mess to a completion. I spent way more time on all this than I should have. I don't regret it, but I have too much business to attend to to worry about these little children playing games. It's been really funny at times. But it just goes nowhere. If I come back in another 5 years I'm sure everyone will be exactly in the same places as before. Maybe moved on to another personality. As I said the other day, the only free time I have will be spent on the website as that is far more important than answering people who just ignore my words anyway. I spent last weekend doing that when I could have done much more on the website. I'm sure everyone will continue to have fun attacking me, and looking silly doing that. As long as you are having fun boys!
Rick

I see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3qCPpubnoE

All,

Want to see some REAL evidence of radiant energy as per Tesla?  Look at this video made by TK back in 2012 where he used a spark gap that was quenched with compressed air-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTaIj5qLoH0

IMO, this is proof beyond a doubt that when a spark in a gap is rapidly quenched, there is excess energy that proceeds on into the load connected to the output.  Call it radiant, coherence of the aether or whatever, this needs to be seriously investigated on this forum!

Really nice work TK! O0  BTW, check out the distances involved from his top loaded Tesla coil to his ground and the wall!

Why haven't we noticed this before?

Regards,
Pm

Group: Renaissance Man

Buy me a cigar
Hi partzman.

I noticed on several occasions, by accident initially, that if one held an NE2 by one leg and touched a lump of Iron or Copper whist a high voltage spark gap was operating in the vicinity it would flash in unison.

I have recently wondered if we might see this effect by rapidly discharging a low voltage source, like a large capacity 12 volt capacitor?

I've " stowed away " all my test gear, Solar reigns supreme here, so am unable to test this. If we did see the Neon flash I think we should definitely investigate!!

Cheers Graham.

Nanny state ? Left at the gate !! :)

Group: Ambassador

well
I would imagine that much research has been done there [even his mention of the magnetic quench
and his mentioning the smell of burning magnets ?

maybe start a topic at Stefan's ? in a moderated section for builders ?[Tinsel is not a member here at this time]

this will give me an excuse to call Stefan ,I have not bothered ...do to the fact its his forum
and I am not telling him how to run it.

other calls I made were to keep his liability limited or suggestions towards a better venue for experimenters [funding discussions ?

but there are several open source experiments along these lines being pondered [a Wesley thing too]
and Stefan still hosts an open source venue ...

good excuse to call him ...
Sigh
better half just pulled in with a car problem !!
gotta go man the wrenches!!

All,

Want to see some REAL evidence of radiant energy as per Tesla?  Look at this video made by TK back in 2012 where he used a spark gap that was quenched with compressed air-

IMO, this is proof beyond a doubt that when a spark in a gap is rapidly quenched, there is excess energy that proceeds on into the load connected to the output.  Call it radiant, coherence of the aether or whatever, this needs to be seriously investigated on this forum!

Really nice work TK! O0  BTW, check out the distances involved from his top loaded Tesla coil to his ground and the wall!

Regards,
Pm

Besides the technical aspects you pointed out, we also get to see some nice shots of Dr. Frankentinsel in his lab, hair standing on end and all.  ;)

But why is this very  fine experimenter not a member of this forum?, I think he was always welcome here and treated fairly and with respect for his work? Why does he like the hell hole so much?

well
I would imagine that much research has been done there [even his mention of the magnetic quench
and his mentioning the smell of burning magnets ?

maybe start a topic at Stefan's ? in a moderated section for builders ?[Tinsel is not a member here at this time]

this will give me an excuse to call Stefan ,I have not bothered ...do to the fact its his forum
and I am not telling him how to run it.

other calls I made were to keep his liability limited or suggestions towards a better venue for experimenters [funding discussions ?

but there are several open source experiments along these lines being pondered [a Wesley thing too]
and Stefan still hosts an open source venue ...

good excuse to call him ...
Sigh
better half just pulled in with a car problem !!
gotta go man the wrenches!!

Chet,

Some nice thots there but honestly, I personally don't really care to become involved again on Stefan's forum! 

Sorry,
Pm

FWIW,

Attached is a pdf of pix that were given to me by Paul Landers back in 1996 or so that were taken during his research and experimentation with counter-rotating electromagnetic fields.  This device went into runaway with he and his assistant present.  My attempts to contact Paul these past years has been futile and even his website with his theories is no longer to be found.

Pm

Buy me some coffee
All,

Regards,
Pm

I would say the compressed air is just reducing the resistance between the spark gap,and allowing more current to flow-nothing more.

Brad

Or, could it be that the compressed air stream is
reducing the Pulse Width of the arc discharges into
the primary coil, thereby increasing the efficiency of
the Tesla Coil?  The spark gap does seem to be
rather short.

Too bad TK didn't scope the Discharge Pulses
to see what difference the compressed air
stream made.

Surely there is a scientific explanation for the
event.

For there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed, and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open.

Or, could it be that the compressed air stream is
reducing the Pulse Width of the arc discharges into
the primary coil, thereby increasing the efficiency of
the Tesla Coil?  The spark gap does seem to be
rather short.

Too bad TK didn't scope the Discharge Pulses
to see what difference the compressed air
stream made.

Surely there is a scientific explanation for the
event.

muDped, you are correct.

Assuming a positive pulse, it would seem that the pulse duration should not persist longer than the rising portion of the sine wave of  the resonant frequency of the coil.

Longer than that would be pushing the swing (adding energy of the wrong polarity) while it is trying to return to the start point on the negative slope.

It would seem the air shortens the duration of the pulse (width) to just what is needed to add energy in the proper portion of the cycle and no longer than that.

The Tesla Coil Transformer is such an incredibly fascinating
device.  A comparison of Spark Gap driven Coil and Solid
State driven.

A great resource for all Tesla Coilers.

FWIW,

Attached is a pdf of pix that were given to me by Paul Landers back in 1996 or so that were taken during his research and experimentation with counter-rotating electromagnetic fields.  This device went into runaway with he and his assistant present.  My attempts to contact Paul these past years has been futile and even his website with his theories is no longer to be found.

Pm

PM, what was the basic operation of the device?

How were the fields developed and rotated?

Thanks for the pics. (There is much reference to wood swelling etc.. What was the significance of that, do you know?)

Buy me some coffee
muDped, you are correct.

Assuming a positive pulse, it would seem that the pulse duration should not persist longer than the rising portion of the sine wave of  the resonant frequency of the coil.

Longer than that would be pushing the swing (adding energy of the wrong polarity) while it is trying to return to the start point on the negative slope.

It would seem the air shortens the duration of the pulse (width) to just what is needed to add energy in the proper portion of the cycle and no longer than that.

Increasing the air density between the plates (spark gap),is the same as increasing the plate surface area of the spark gap.
This reduces the effective resistance between the two plates-spark gap,and also the breakdown voltage.

Brad

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-03-29, 07:14:27