PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2020-11-25, 14:31:38
News: Check out the Benches; a place for people to moderate their own thread and document their builds and data.
If you would like your own Bench, please PM an Admin.
Most Benches are visible only to members.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Smudge's Halbach Motor  (Read 529 times)
Group: Moderator

Here is a paper that I have just compiled dealing with a modified Halbach array that offers the potential for a free-running magnet motor.  My simulations in FEMM for a pair of linear arrays show that a linear motor utilizing permanent magnets could work.  The question now is would a pair of circular arrays also offer this possibility for a rotary version.  I do not have the capability of building such a device so I offer it to anyone out there to give it a try.  The advantage over other motors that have evolved by trail and error experimentation is that its working principle is clear, hence it is more likely to be accepted by the scientific establishment.  And finessing the design for best performance is a doddle.

Smudge

Group: Tinkerer

Hi Cyril,
Thanks for sharing. It would not be too difficult to setup a 3d printed rig for this as I have done for my Howard Johnson array. I have not been able to get a circular array working though as the rotor is fairly tricky as it is a banana shaped magnet. I think I can build this with my 3mm cubes though.
Thanks again.

Thank you Jim for your interest.  3mm cubes are tiny, so I would be inclined to use more than the 16 as in my circular array.  I did try simulating a single circular array with the working side facing inwards, but that did not show the same effect as a linear array.  In that arrangement the change from linear to circular took away the wanted effect.  However I am still looking into this simpler arrangement to see whether I can get it to work,

Smudge

Group: Professor

Smudge:  "hence it is more likely to be accepted by the scientific establishment. "

If the device is 100% replicable, I wouldn't worry about acceptance by the scientific establishment!  or the MSMedia.   

Go direct to the people, and make it broadly available (IMHO):  a small replicable device will sell and spread like hotcakes, IMHO.

The "proof" will be in everyone's hands who holds the device - can't beat that for credibility!
« Last Edit: 2020-11-11, 21:12:36 by PhysicsProf »

Thanks Cyril,

In your alternate linear version of the Halbach array your FEMM results were improved by using a permeable material such as Fe in
place of certain magnets. Could you do the same for the circular array using square magnets and wedge shaped transitions between either a few of the PMs or all?

There's also the option of 'squaring the circle' by using a polygon of linear segments, but it might add complexity to the radial magnet, or not.

tak 

Thanks Cyril,

In your alternate linear version of the Halbach array your FEMM results were improved by using a permeable material such as Fe in
place of certain magnets. Could you do the same for the circular array using square magnets and wedge shaped transitions between either a few of the PMs or all?

I have tried various versions with Fe with varying degrees of success.  The rotary version definitely works but I don't get the sort of gain you get with a long array, I am only using 16 magnets in the circle.  And, unlike the long array where the force can be made to always be positive, in this rotary version there is always negative torque regions that of course can be smoothed out, the overall torque is positive so it will definitely work.  The more I study this the clearer things are becoming.  I can do things in FEMM that would be impossible in practice, like replace the magnets with air cored solenoids carrying huge currents.  When you do that the energy extracted by the movement has to come from the current sources.  I can use FEMM to tell me the fluxes within each solenoid during the rotor movement and from that I can obtain the energy taken from or fed back to the current sources.  That tells me the energy taken from or fed back to the atomic dipoles within the magnets, so this should enable me to understand where the energy comes from.  It should also allow me to optimise the design.  I have always known that within magnet motors there is this complex exchange of energy with the internal dipoles, but have never before been able to exploit this feature to any advantage.  Hopefully this gives us a way to move ahead in the search for so called free energy.  More to come when I write it all up.

Smudge

Group: Tinkerer

My build just got prioritized as I came off a quad bike yesterday:) plenty of 3D design time now. The differences you outline between linear and a circular track is exactly what I see in my hojo motor as well. Looking forward to this.

I have tried various versions with Fe with varying degrees of success.  The rotary version definitely works but I don't get the sort of gain you get with a long array, I am only using 16 magnets in the circle.  And, unlike the long array where the force can be made to always be positive, in this rotary version there is always negative torque regions that of course can be smoothed out, the overall torque is positive so it will definitely work.  The more I study this the clearer things are becoming.  I can do things in FEMM that would be impossible in practice, like replace the magnets with air cored solenoids carrying huge currents.  When you do that the energy extracted by the movement has to come from the current sources.  I can use FEMM to tell me the fluxes within each solenoid during the rotor movement and from that I can obtain the energy taken from or fed back to the current sources.  That tells me the energy taken from or fed back to the atomic dipoles within the magnets, so this should enable me to understand where the energy comes from.  It should also allow me to optimise the design.  I have always known that within magnet motors there is this complex exchange of energy with the internal dipoles, but have never before been able to exploit this feature to any advantage.  Hopefully this gives us a way to move ahead in the search for so called free energy.  More to come when I write it all up.

Smudge

Smudge,

Wouldn't a circle array with a large radius improve the magnetic characteristics?
Also, does the circle array have to be continuous? Could it be separated into 4 or 6 sections?

Regards
Cadman

---------------------------
Something isn't false, or fake, just because you don't believe it.

Smudge,

Wouldn't a circle array with a large radius improve the magnetic characteristics?

Well I have just doubled the number of magnets at twice the radius and if anything it is worse.  This is with the working side of the array pointing inwards.  I can't simulate the system I proposed in my paper as FEMM is only a 2D program.  It seems the cylindrical geometry is the problem and maybe with the working side of the array pointing along the cylindrical axis it will work.

Also, does the circle array have to be continuous? Could it be separated into 4 or 6 sections?
I will try that, easy enough to chop out some sections in my simulation.

Smudge

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2020-11-25, 14:31:38