PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-04-19, 19:51:46
News: Check out the Benches; a place for people to moderate their own thread and document their builds and data.
If you would like your own Bench, please PM an Admin.
Most Benches are visible only to members.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Scientists created the world's whitest paint  (Read 647 times)

Group: Mad Scientist

When we have UV sunglasses or UV protection in a clear coat paint, is that UV reflected, or absorbed so it doesnt penetrate.  If it reflects it, then I wonder if there is a way to do the same with IR(heat).  We put tint on our car windows. There is definitely less IR hitting the interior and heating it up. But is it reflected or absorbed? If there were a transparent coating that could reflect IR, then we could have virtually any color, even black, but not collect the heat. If there is such a thing, they surely would be hiding it.  Just a thought as IR and UV are invisible to the eye. Maybe the material that could reflect IR, may not be visible as to such either.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2021/09/17/whitest-paint-created-global-warming/8378579002/

Mags

Group: Professor

I had some dealings with IR imaging in the Company I worked for (that was quite a while ago, I have been retired for 22 years).  The best white paint (using an Al oxide if I remember correctly) actually looked black at long-wavelength IR (30 microns).  Even snow looks black.  The Sun's heating that can approach 1KW per square meter is at those long wavelengths.  What these guys have achieved is a wide bandwidth reflective paint.  I think the UV coatings on sunglasses are not wide band, they are frequency selective where the frequency is determined by the thickness of the coating, just like RF transmission line tuning stubs where the frequency is determined by the length of the stub.

Smudge   

Group: Mad Scientist

Funny..  I have red lasers, ir lasers, green laser and blue.  All of them can burn things.  Even UV lasers can burn.  So I guess IR heat is what is emitted by materials that are hot, or say at a higher temp than its surroundings.

Mags

Group: Moderator

I thought this was really weird...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sDGSgcSZJA,
Musou Black—The (New) World's Blackest Paint Turns Anything Into A Shadow

Regards
AC

---------------------------
Comprehend and Copy Nature... Viktor Schauberger

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”― Richard P. Feynman

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-04-19, 19:51:46