PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-03-29, 05:53:04
News: Forum TIP:
The SHOUT BOX deletes messages after 3 hours. It is NOT meant to have lengthy conversations in. Use the Chat feature instead.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Time running out... We can still go for lights for when the grid goes out...  (Read 1105 times)
Group: Professor

So I'm looking for a way to get lights inside, when (not if) the electrical grid goes down.
YOUR ideas are welcomed!   Cheaper the better, and long-lasting, to benefit your family/group.

Glow in the dark paint is one fun way to do this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAfOgq6SKVU

You must "charge" the paint in the sunlight (OK if overcast) during the day.

See especially starting ca 9m10 s... Do you like the music?

Group: Guest
Small solar panel on the roof, old battery from the car, self made inverter for few bucks and you can run LED lams same way as from the grid.

Group: Tinkerer

tExB=qr
Candles, kerosene and lamp oil still work.

If you have wind, my father helped me build a wind turbine from a pole, sheet metal, and a bicycle wheel generator when I was a kid (science fair).

Off-grid solar kits are a few hundred to a few thousand.

Jules Verne spoke of a hand crank lamp with a battery...

We definitely need more sources of energy than fossil fuels, and soon!

Group: Moderator

If the grid ever went down for an extended length of time a person should already have a plan in place. The government plans are a complete joke and the best resource are the "prepper" websites. https://thesurvivalpreppers.com/15-of-the-best-prepping-and-survival-websites/

These websites are also a good resource for fairly unbiased news on current events because they don't care about the usual left or right wing nonsensical narratives only our continued survival as individuals/family. As such people are grouped into two general categories, 1)intelligent common sense people who know how to do real stuff to survive long term and 2)everyone else.

The one point all people prepared for the worst drive home is that all may be well right now but when the shit really hit's the fan it's every man for himself. There will be no person riding in on a white horse to save us and the police, emergency services and government agencies will be trying to survive just like us. For example, anyone remember hurricane Katrina?, I remember it because it showed just how incompetent the government and emergency services really are. When push comes to shove and a large scale all encompassing event occurs it always turns into a complete shit show, that's just the way it is.

A person can spin this any way they want but it's on us to figure out what we want and what makes us happy. However it should be balanced with long term security/survival and a potential SHTF scenario in this day and age. Look at Ukraine, do you think they saw that bs coming?, most never do. Think of it this way, all the critics like to call the preppers paranoid but when a SHTF scenario does happen the critics are always the one's left helpless and the prepared coming up roses.

Regards
AC

« Last Edit: 2022-06-05, 17:33:05 by Allcanadian »

---------------------------
Comprehend and Copy Nature... Viktor Schauberger

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”― Richard P. Feynman

Excellent points!  Thank you for comments.

"We definitely need more sources of energy than fossil fuels, and soon!"    So true.

Steps, if the gov't really seeks to help citizens and not just destroy the middle class in America and Europe:

1 - open up domestic oil sources immediately; plan for 3-5 years tapering use.

2-  fund excellent alternative energy sources, put these on a fast development track (1-3 years)
  2A -- Alt fusion sources, which I've mentioned in earlier posts
  2B --  Deep geothermal, heat plus electricity:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61mz4vr1EeE

Small solar panel on the roof, old battery from the car, self made inverter for few bucks and you can run LED lams same way as from the grid.
   Am I correct this connects to a transformer as out of an old UPS to create 125AC?
thay

Group: Guest
   Am I correct this connects to a transformer as out of an old UPS to create 125AC?
thay

Yes, could be transformer from UPS or any other transformer with suitable windings.
I made mode detailed schematic/description.
Also added very simple battery charge indicator (if somebody want it).

PhysicsProf
As moderator I just wasted 30 minutes trying to write a balanced post to justify why your post is ambiguous and against the forum rules.

However as we both know it's a waste of time so you can remove it or I will.

Regards
AC

It looks to me to be part of a re-working of the anti-vaxx, Jan 6, 9/11, climate change denying agenda -  powered by those who wish to disrupt Western society.

Group: Tinkerer

tExB=qr
  Here is an interesting observation - not sure its true. 

Tucker C suggests that the "Green New Deal" is being foisted on us, without laws actually being passed in Congress.  The idea seems to be to CUT domestic oil production and refining, raising prices at the pump, so as to usher in a new age of "green energy."  Except that, the "green energy" is not yet ready to bear the power load which currently operating society requires...  There is just not enough green energy to go around.  Something's gotta give...

And is the energy crisis actually a cause for rejoicing, in some political circles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrfhYCbrM98
Why is this post being "moderated" as if this forum is Reddit?

Unless new technology is developed, or released by those who have it, the world is not getting off fossil fuels. 
Look into it yourselves. 
There are not enough materials on the planet to move the entire population or even a significant portion of it, to green energy sources.

There are not enough materials on the planet to move the entire population or even a significant portion of it, to green energy sources.

Take solar energy alone.

What are the kwh falling on the planet and what percentage at what efficiency would suffice? We need to develop the tech with our resources to achieve.

Then do the same for wind energy.

Then do the same for tidal energy.

Group: Moderator

Grumpy
I agree with you but that's not the point.

The post was made political and meant to illicit a reaction. We all know the rules and I must abide by them as well. I would love to comment on all kinds of off topic things but I don't because we have rules.

As I said, I agree and even with new technology like FE the probability of preventing severe climate change is now zero. As I see it we're now in phase 2 where the only "sides" are who survives the next 20 cyears or not.

So really you can burn as much shit as you want, go nuts if you want. The fact is we're outnumbered by imbeciles who could care less about facts or the future and that's not going to change.

Regards
AC

---------------------------
Comprehend and Copy Nature... Viktor Schauberger

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”― Richard P. Feynman

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-03-29, 05:53:04