PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-04-25, 21:40:42
News: Forum TIP:
The SHOUT BOX deletes messages after 3 hours. It is NOT meant to have lengthy conversations in. Use the Chat feature instead.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: Lester J Hendershot Generator  (Read 183794 times)

Group: Administrator

Buy me some coffee
Without some inkling of a previously unknown effect this is another exercise futility.
Hendershot was very clear about the principle of operation, cut the field lines North & South produces power, cutting the field lines East & West produces motion.
I cannot work out how the device cuts the field lines though  :-[

So how do you cut field lines East & West anyone fancy a go at a diagram, if you can then that would be an experiment to try. O0

I see 3 possibilities and orientations for cutting the flux of the earth with the induction compass, that he might have experimented with.

Fig 1,  this is a top view and that's how they operate normally on an airplane.

Fig 2,  cutting the flux N-S with axis of rotation horizontal.

Fig 3,  cutting the flux E-W with axis of rotation horizontal. (this is the one that does not make sense from an induction point of view, so probably it is this one that Hendershot found out is special)

I choose 3,  but that's not the whole story, some other ingredient was there,  pre "charged" core, or magnetized core.

EM
« Last Edit: 2012-12-29, 23:18:24 by EMdevices »

Group: Tinkerer

tExB=qr
Fig 3 reminds me of Luis Rota's "detector"

Still don't get how it might work enough to even try anything.

Buy me some coffee
Thanks EM for the diagrams.

Certainly in the Hendershot motor there was a magnet, he mentions that they were originally not sure if the magnet would eventually lose it's magnetic field, as if the energy maybe used up from the magnets field.

One interesting thing about the motor is that it maintained the same RPM under varying loads, and this rpm was set by the coils, this is interesting as it probably means the generator produces a set amount of power by varying either the voltage or current, if it's the voltage that varies then i would not like to run the device without a load, you would reach a point where a lightning bolt would be unleashed, which sounds like what may have happened to Lester at the patent office.
This also ties in with SM about it feeding itself, therefore i think we can assume this constant set RPM of the motor is the result of automatically feeding energy back into the system, this i think must have been done with coils.

So it would appear we are creating an environment where we input energy and get more back, even if it's only a little extra back.

I am also interested in the transformer with the middle leg removed, this could be interesting as i don't know of anyone having ever tried this, we have a flux magnetometer which uses a toroidal core and then a winding wound over the outside diameter of the toroidal core, this seems similar but with the coil aligned and contained inside the core instead.
I have almost built one of these using a small LT77 audio output transformer for some testing, very annoying all new transformers seem to have welded laminates which makes them impossible to disassemble, i may need to use eBay to get an old frame output transformer for larger tests.

@Emdevices
I see 3 possibilities and orientations for cutting the flux of the earth with the induction compass, that he might have experimented with.

I guess the real question is do we need to cut the field gradient?, you see Faraday's law is not explicit when considering Δ(BA)/Δt and we could say a lack of something is as much a change as more of something so long as there was something there to begin with. That is the change Δ(BA) is not defined and gives no indication as to how or why the change occurs only that it does.

At which point I would quote GK -- "If we constantly head for the known then the unknown remains unknown" and in this respect we know what does not work because most of our technology is based on it and it is used every day. We know what we normally do is not the answer therefore it must be something else in which case I think there are two perspectives, one we are not intelligent enough to find the answer or two we are half way there because we can exclude everything we normally do. Personally I think it is easy as most great discoveries and insights are in fact easy, a man applies a current to a coil then measures an induced current in a nearby coil and calls it mutual induction, he wins a Nobel and lives happily ever after ... simple.

AC

---------------------------
Comprehend and Copy Nature... Viktor Schauberger

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”― Richard P. Feynman

Group: Guest
In my setup I want to experiment with the overlap in 3d space like Bearden and Hutchison talk about.

Like Nostradamus predictions, Bearden's talk is so fuzzy that one may imagine anything vaguely linking up his fantasies to the reality. It's wasting time.
Hutchison is another problem. This guy did never understand the phenomena that he faced and he was never able to determine the precise conditions of their apparition, leading to the impossibility to reproduce them. Consequently what he says is a pure fancy, and like Bearden but for another reason, his speech is senseless, in particular in the context of the Hendershot device.

Not only we don't see how field lines would be cutted, but if cutting the earth field lines is the explanation of the Hendershot's device, then it is a conventional explanation that doesn't require new physics nor hidden energy source. In this case we can apply the known laws of electromagnetism to calculate the expected energy that we could recover. Unfortunately this doesn't work.
1) cutting the field lines from the terrestrial magnetic field with a magnetic circuit that is not at all wide, as this one from Hendershot, can't produce as much energy as the Hendershot's device, by many orders of magnitude.
2) cutting magnetic field lines is a process that induces a counterforce, the Lorentz force, and so the electric energy is taken from the mechanical energy that moves the circuit through the field lines. And in the case of the earth rotation making the field lines to cut a circuit, one wonders where is the fulcrum of the circuit  :).
Each point is enough to discard a simple field lines cutting.

The constant speed of the motor indicates it is driven by a set frequency, and also depends on the number of poles, so like the article mentioned, it's speed is determined when the motor is assembled or designed.  (AC motors have a rotational speed determined by the frequency and the number of poles)

So, there is a revolving magnetic field, there's induction, and of course rotation in the case of the motor.

The secret is in how it is wound, according to the article.

EM
« Last Edit: 2012-12-30, 15:48:41 by EMdevices »

Buy me some coffee
Here's a picture of the toy plane

The motor is meant to predate the electronic generator but to me this looks like an electronic generator to drive a motor, not a magnetic motor

Nice find!

I think the motor and generator are the same thing, for example, sticking a rotor inside a stator ring that already has a rotational field produces motion, so there is the motor.  It would seem the basic element is the generator, and since it depends on the attitude to the earth and is a ring wound with coils, it is very similar to the TPU.

However, I think we would benefit more if we follow Hendershots experiments and concepts described in the context of the motor, keeping in mind that we can always remove the rotor later.

EM

Group: Elite

It's turtles all the way down
Here's a picture of the toy plane

The motor is meant to predate the electronic generator but to me this looks like an electronic generator to drive a motor, not a magnetic motor

I agree.

Zooming in and looking closely at the picture, you can see the basket weave coils towards the front and what looks like the 2 coils that we see sitting in the square cores (with the center leg removed) in the patent sketch.

The whole generator (Mark I type) looks to be mounted upside down and to the ceiling of the fuselage

The motor driving the propeller is probably a standard small AC "universal" motor.

The cutaway was probably provided so LJH could "tune" the device and demonstrate the lack of  batteries.

I don't think this was ever meant to fly, as the weight of all those cores would have been excessive compared to the size of the plane and the propeller. Just a demo device, since there were no radio controls, it would have quickly crashed . That is not something LJH would have liked.

"Secrecy, secret societies and secret groups have always been repugnant to a free and open society"......John F Kennedy

Buy me some coffee
Absolutely ION just a toy to watch and play with, to a kid when the propeller turns all the better  ;D

Here's another device  O0
Fate Magazine, October 1956, pp. 123-125; "Report from the Readers"

Mysterious Invention

"The Hubbard Energy Transformer" brought back to me exciting memories of another inventor. In 1918, while doing painting and decorating, I was hired to paper several bedrooms in a large two-story house. While at this work I went down to the back porch to pick up some materials. I happened to glance at the light meter and saw it was not moving.

I opened the fuse box and saw the main power fuses had been removed. It took only a minute to make sure the line had not been taped beyond the meter.

The only member of the family at home at the time was a young man in his early twenties [C. Earl Ammann]. I asked him, "Earl, where do you get your juice? I noticed it does not come from the power lines".

"Come along and I’ll show you", he said. He led me up to the attic. He placed some steel bars on a work table and picked up a coil which looked like a loose coupler. After placing the coils on the steel rods he touched the opposite terminal. The bell rang with great force, and there was quite a spark, too.

I picked up the coils to make sure there was no contact with other appliances. I could see right through them. There was no battery inside. The bell rang just as vigorously. The wire was iron.

In the basement Earl had what he called an Activator Transformer, the size of two fists, which had to be within 10 miles of the radius of the generator coils. The activator was not in contact with any visible wires or appliances. It was activated by the electric currents which surge around the earth and activate the compass needle. By cutting into these currents, earl said, we can obtain unlimited power.

A year later Earl demonstrated his Cosmo Electric Generator in Denver. He had placed two copper spheres on the front fenders of his car in pace of the headlights. From these copper spheres he obtained enough power to drive that old jalopy all over Denver as reported in the Denver Post at the time.

While Earl was demonstrating his invention all over the streets of Denver, the power had been cut off in the foothills. In spite of this, when he went to Washington DC shortly afterward to try to obtain a patent on his Cosmo Electric Generator, he found that charges had been filed against him claiming he had a device to steal power from the power lines.

K. H. Isselstein,
Spokane, WA

Buy me some coffee
HaHa
The Hendershot "Fuelless motor" is not a motor at all but a generator, according to Major Thomas G. lanphier, commandant at Selfridge Field, Mich., where he with Lester J. Hendershot, the inventor, and D. Barr Peat, have been quietly working on an experimental model.

and

this is regarding his first model
his wife told of his conception of the machine and how the miniature model was constructed from the parts of a worn out radio which had been given to the inventor by his uncle.

and
an operational quote from Hendershot himself
"I found that with a pre-magnetized core I could set up a magnetic field that would indicate true north, but I didn’t know just how to utilize that in the compass I set out to find.

"In continuing my experiments, I learned that by cutting the same line of magnetic force north and south, I had an indicator of the true north, and that by cutting the magnetic field east and west, I could develop a rotary motion.

Notice in the text the Ammann device used iron wire.

Wish there was more info on this fellow.

"Secrecy, secret societies and secret groups have always been repugnant to a free and open society"......John F Kennedy

Buy me some coffee
Indeed that was one thing that caught my eye as well iron wire  O0

I'm beginning to wonder if these devices were using something like Radium as a power source.
Cooke, hendershot, SM, and now this new one and there were probably more.

If i remember didn't Hubbard go down that route with a similar device, IE coils and the like

was radium ever used in valves, if so that could explain how SM had some, even as a kid i had a glow in the dark watch which used Radium i think.

Group: Elite Experimentalist

Frequency equals matter...

Buy me a drink
Yes on Hubbard too.

tExB=qr
MARKUP OF A MARKUP...

Indeed that was one thing that caught my eye as well iron wire  O0

I'm beginning to wonder if these devices were using something like Radium as a power source.
Cooke, hendershot, SM, and now this new one and there were probably more.

If i remember didn't Hubbard go down that route with a similar device, IE coils and the like

was radium ever used in valves, if so that could explain how SM had some, even as a kid i had a glow in the dark watch which used Radium i think.

Hello,

Most watches with semi permanent glowing dials now use whats called tritium.

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?169525-For-Sale-Tritium-Vials-*-Part-2

It is radioactive (not very dangerous) and should glow for approximately 10 years maybe more now.

Buy me some coffee
Cheers ST

I was probably wrong about the Radium though  O0
Radium is over one million times as radioactive as the same mass of uranium

but if tungsten wire coated with Thorium was used maybe the story would be different.

:)

The Hendershot motor is most likely powered by energy received from the power grid running at 60 Hz in North America, not the earths magnetic field.

How do I know this?  well because the motor he built ran at 1800 RPM.

It could be built for a desired speed, he said, and he felt that a reli-able constant speed motor was one of the greatest needs in aviation at that time. The one he built developed 1,800 revolutions per minute.

The synchronous velocity of an AC motor is dictated by the frequency and the number of poles, here's the formula.

RPM = 120 f/p,      where f= frequency in Hz, and p = number of poles.

So let's calculate:    RPM = 120 * 60 / 4 = 1800

So his motor had 4 poles and was powered by 60 Hz frequency,  or just the same it could run on a higher harmonic and have more poles, like120 Hz/ and 8 poles, etc..

EM

tExB=qr
Thanks EM.  I have always found the frequency of Hendershot devices coincidental.

A motor designed for a synchronous speed of 1800 RPM could not run at 1800 RPM. A common running speed for such a motor is 1750 RPM.

So, if it had a running speed of 1800 RPM it didn't have a rotor or didn't use Lenz or both.

For that matter the source of his power could have had a frequency of 30, 15 or 7.5 Hz. All he would need for those frequencies is the correct number of poles and a design for running on harmonics.

Based upon that........ I have decided his devices were Lentz free, had no rotor and ran off of Earth's magnetic field   :D

"Oh by the way Lindy, if you want to use one of these, you have to fly only over power lines" (there were few of those around in 1930's except in cities, rural electrification was just beginning, but never mind).  :D

No one has been able to tap substantial power from the radiation loss of the grid. Presenting the possibility as a fact is misleading.

Someone prove me wrong show me a circuit that can light a 6 Watt incandescent lamp to full brightness at 100 feet from any major power line. Not flea power LED's, let's see some real Joule heating. Not ionized gas in a fluorescent tube.

Common sense once again has flown out the window.
« Last Edit: 2013-01-14, 14:51:36 by ION »

tExB=qr
regardless, 1800 RPM is so clean and even

Was that rounded off or otherwise approximated?  Is this frequency determined by the components selected and tuning?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-04-25, 21:40:42