PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-03-28, 08:42:01
News: Forum TIP:
The SHOUT BOX deletes messages after 3 hours. It is NOT meant to have lengthy conversations in. Use the Chat feature instead.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 35
Author Topic: OUR, window on the world.  (Read 256314 times)

Group: Professor

I have no doubt the trolls will soon be here to abuse me so come and get it
Not in this thread.

Group: Ambassador

that is truly an amazing advancement and the engine management potential must be staggering...

talk about tuning options ?? !

wow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZWeNPi2XkE

Hey Grumage
Close....
Have a listen...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTC5QylcWGc

Cheers Graham.

In my opinion it spools down way to fast and it sounds like something is binding internally. Did you check if it ran free before installation?, it should have been pre-lubed at the factory. Did you check the clearance moving it axially?, give it a spin?. My guess is something is binding internally or the bearings are pooched because normally the spool down is not so abrupt.

---------------------------
Comprehend and Copy Nature... Viktor Schauberger

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”― Richard P. Feynman

Group: Elite Experimentalist

Buy me some coffee
I like it..

Mark J

"Your both right and your both wrong.

F1 tech is my domain haha, F1 engines DO use Hydraulic or Pnumatic (depending on the team) to close valves (a few years ago they did both) Under the hybrid era, Valves must be mechanically opened, but there pneumatically closed, so they can be closed faster and harder than a cam would allow, whats the point of all that boost and energy recovery when it all leaks by valves closing as is traditional with a normal cam shaft.

F1 get the best of both worlds, each system has its advantages and disadvantges.

If you do a bit of fishing online you can find photos of F1 engine camshafts, and you aint ever seen lobe profiles like it

On another note i saw a comment about laser ignition this is bollox, and a tech that will never make it, HCCI or Hermerogeneous Charge Compression and Ignition is a spark less way of ignighting fuel, sticking with F1, Merceidies and Ferrari and Honda all use HCCI at some level now mercedies is obviously the best it operates much better, if you listen to a MERC of the throttle in breaking zones and listen carefull you can hear the engines switching from SPARK to HCCI and vice versa, its even more apparant on the HONDA listen to that fucker of throttle sounds like the days of the blown diffusers HCCI is way superior to any other kind of ignition but its only recently the technology has been around that it can be done, for more than 40years HCCI has been on some form of bench.

For those who dont know HCCI is exactly the way Diesel Engines ignite or detonate there fuel, without a spark, just cold fuel into a red hot pocket of air and KABOOM, well petrol and other fuels can be ignighted this way aswell, only its not so simple.

These 2 together pneumatic valves and HCCI is estimated to be between 5 and 25% more efficent all around, more power less fuel, less nocking, less risk of detonation, relativly low cylinder pressures, lower stress on engine components in particular to the piston, where detonation no longer hppens over the pistons center to push down, but burns way more unitform pressing the WHOLE surface of the piston down.

I have no doubt the trolls will soon be here to abuse me so come and get it, ill see if i can find the photos for yall of the cam profiles, and the link to the HCCI information for you all"

Camless engines have been around for some time now-a lot of large ship engines use solenoid operated valves.

I designed and built my own camless 4 stroke engine 28 years ago,using Honda's XR350 engine as a base-it had only one moving part +plus the drive gears of course,and rotated a 1/4 the engine RPM.
It also only required 1/10 of the power that was needed to run the original valve train.

Brad

Never let your schooling get in the way of your education.

Buy me some coffee
Hi Chet.

Close....

Have a listen...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTC5QylcWGc

Cheers Graham.

Defiantly sounds like a bearing problem Grum--sounds like one of the rotors is touching the housing.
The oil coming out like that,is a sure sign of a bearing and seal problem there--maybe the endfloat was not set correctly ?

Did you shim the compressor and exhaust housing up correctly ?.

Brad

Group: Moderator

Buy me a cigar
Do you find yourself salivating while watching this...or is it just me?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZWeNPi2XkE

Hi Verpies.

You may recall we discussed the topic some time ago via PM.

Such a lot of energy is required to operate the conventional valve train and as Chet has said, infinite control of overlap etc.

Now...... All we need to do is get rid of the " poppet " valves altogether by replacing them with a " skylight " type of valve making for much easier transit of the working fluids!    ;)

Cheers Graham.

Nanny state ? Left at the gate !! :)

Buy me a cigar
Defiantly sounds like a bearing problem Grum--sounds like one of the rotors is touching the housing.
The oil coming out like that,is a sure sign of a bearing and seal problem there--maybe the endfloat was not set correctly ?

Did you shim the compressor and exhaust housing up correctly ?.

Brad

Hi Brad.

The " cassette " was allegedly factory ballanced etc. All that I had to do was put my inlet and exhaust chambers on to the ends.

I double checked all clearances and fully primed the centre bearing before the final start up. The unit failed within seconds....

I've been out to my favourite BMW breaker this morning and bought a second hand one.... less play in it than the new one!!

As usual the weather has turned nasty again, a case of " rain stopped play "  :)

Cheers Grum.

Group: Experimentalist

Buy me a beer
Hi Brad.

The " cassette " was allegedly factory ballanced etc. All that I had to do was put my inlet and exhaust chambers on to the ends.

I double checked all clearances and fully primed the centre bearing before the final start up. The unit failed within seconds....

I've been out to my favourite BMW breaker this morning and bought a second hand one.... less play in it than the new one!!

As usual the weather has turned nasty again, a case of " rain stopped play "  :)

Cheers Grum.

Sorry to hear of the wow's

Hope you can send it back and get a refund, this can be a problem with buying on the net.

Family just gone back after a long and very wet weekend, now back to trying to organise my life if her indoors will let me C.C

Regards

Mike 8)

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident."
Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

As a general rule, the most successful person in life is the person that has the best information.

Group: Professor

You may recall we discussed the topic some time ago via PM.
Yes, but I did not know that such things were available nowadays.
I thought that it was only an idea.

The infinitely variable valve timing sure allows for a lot of tuning options ! (together with ignition and fuel injector timing).

Such a lot of energy is required to operate the conventional valve train and as Chet has said, infinite control of overlap etc.
I concur with Chet.

Now...... All we need to do is get rid of the " poppet " valves altogether by replacing them with a " skylight " type of valve making for much easier transit of the working fluids!    ;)
So it was because of this, that I have seen two "poppet" valves on opposite sides of a rocker (and one on the wrong side of the head) !

Buy me some coffee
Rotary valve system--the only way to go  O0

Brad

Buy me a cigar
Rotary valve system--the only way to go  O0

Brad

Hmmm....

Let me take you back to 1888....  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsNh6UKQNMc

Cheers Grum.

@Grum
Hmmm....
Let me take you back to 1888....  ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsNh6UKQNMc

Nice... an engine like that could run for decades. Being a farm boy I have a great appreciation for craftsmanship and things that work. For me that engine is a work of art and they don't build them like that anymore. Thank you.

Tinman
Rotary valve system--the only way to go

You read my mind and a rotary valve becomes feasible once we understand the work from the heat of expansion can be equivalent to the work of a transformation without the high temperatures. The GEET inventor claimed frost started forming on the exhaust of his motor in which case a modified brass ball valve with teflon seals and a little lube might work?.

It gives us options not normally present within the realm of high temperature internal combustion engines while reducing the cost of components. How far could we take this... an injection molded or 3D printed plastic engine?. We are only limited by our imagination and I think you have a very good one.

Comprehend and Copy Nature... Viktor Schauberger

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”― Richard P. Feynman

Buy me a cigar
@Grum
Nice... an engine like that could run for decades. Being a farm boy I have a great appreciation for craftsmanship and things that work. For me that engine is a work of art and they don't build them like that anymore. Thank you.

You're welcome.

It's a rotary valve.

The only engine type I have not had " hands on " experience with is a Brayton cycle engine. ( reciprocating )   ;)

My collection of early Lister engines now sees 3 at over 100 years old, and still running. I also have a " Canadian " hopper Spec 401 Lister of 1911 vintage.

Cheers Grum.

Buy me a cigar
I'm sad at the moment.

Chester our 13 year old Chocolate Labrador passed away an hour or so ago.

He found us at a rescue centre aged nine months and has been a faithful companion to all the grandchildren for many years.

Good bye Chester, old friend.... 

Graham,   being sad on such a moment is very understandable, but don't stay sad for to long, 13 year is a respectable age for a labrador.
Looking at the picture he had a very enjoyable life with you guys, so be thankfull instead lateron.

Itsu

Well
I never knew who you were talking to at times [telling me to be patient at feeding time  :o when it was He who would show up like clockwork for his dinner]

will miss that ....

its sad to see him go ,But as you have said [and itsu too]
he had a good life with you folks...a dream life for a noble hound...

« Last Edit: 2017-06-14, 21:58:14 by Chet K »

Sorry to hear of your loss, Graham.  I too have an elderly dog that I love dearly and don't want to think of that day.  I hope you find some peace of mind soon.

Dave

Group: Guest
My condolences Graham. I'm a dog man too. I know how hard it is, saying goodbye to an old and faithful friend.
I'll give my Maggie some extra hugs tonight, thinking of your Chester dog.

Buy me a cigar
Thank you all.

This is a " Doggie " household, the four that remain are a little subdued this morning.

It's Mir, Chester's lifelong friend that's been hit the hardest she is a 12 and a half year old Great Dane, she keeps looking for him, they were the best of friends.

Time is a great healer the sadness lifted by the memories of Chester and his antics.

Graham.

Buy me a cigar
Hello All.

A simple, simple experiment for all members to report upon around OUR world.

Fill your sink with water, pull the plug, which direction does it rotate?

I remember reading about an idea of a circular trough, minimum diameter of 30 feet that if filled with water would start to rotate on it's own?  Has anyone else read this ? 

Cheers Graham.

Grum
here is the Vid I was mentioning today, with the amazing claim.

check out minute 8:46 in this vid

http://www.hkonlinetv.com/?p=102013

reminds me of the propeller driven vehicle that used only wind power to go straight upwind a few years back.
and apparently 2.8 times the wind speed downwind.....

https://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/museum/DDWFTTW.htm

BTW
my sink water has no real obvious preference until the very end where I seem to detect a counterclockwise swirl ??

will try making it cloudy  [it is hard for me to see]
« Last Edit: 2017-06-16, 20:41:47 by Chet K »

Grum
here is the Vid I was mentioning today, with the amazing claim.

check out minute 8:46 in this vid

http://www.hkonlinetv.com/?p=102013

reminds me of the propeller driven vehicle that used only wind power to go straight upwind a few years back.
and apparently 2.8 times the wind speed downwind.....

https://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/museum/DDWFTTW.htm

BTW
my sink water has no real obvious preference until the very end where I seem to detect a counterclockwise swirl ??

will try making it cloudy  [it is hard for me to see]

That's an amazing claim all right. I'm not really sure I can believe it. I'll have to think about it for a while.
But regardless, those boats are amazing.

The only way I could imagine it working would be a "tacking" scenario ,if it runs strait up the river that would be really amazing !!
and if its true
this would be a cheaper transport [with no motor needed just the proper foil design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T82c88iKCXU

Buy me some coffee
The only way I could imagine it working would be a "tacking" scenario ,if it runs strait up the river that would be really amazing !!
and if its true
this would be a cheaper transport [with no motor needed just the proper foil design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T82c88iKCXU

I dont see it working-not even with tacking,as it wouldnt matter if the water was flowing under the boat,or the boat was moving across the water--either way,there would only need to be motion between the boat and water. This being the case,you would have a boat moving through water,with no apparent power/energy source.

The land yacht going down wind faster than the wind ,is a no brainer,when you understand that the sail surface is traveling in the opposite direction to that of which the wind is blowing,and the land yacht is moving.

There is also the fact that the land yacht has two mediums to work with,where it takes energy from the wind,and transfers it to the wheel's,which then push against the ground.
The boat only has the water,and so ,there saying we take energy from the moving water,and transfer it to the moving water  ???.
This is like trying to lift yourself of the ground by pulling on your own shoe laces.  :D

Brad

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 35
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-03-28, 08:42:01