PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-03-29, 04:58:30
News: Forum TIP:
The SHOUT BOX deletes messages after 3 hours. It is NOT meant to have lengthy conversations in. Use the Chat feature instead.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: HELP PLEASE! 40hz light to restore gamma waves to the brain to fight Alzheimers  (Read 51767 times)

Group: Tinkerer

MIT announced this week a method for reducing  beta amyloid production in the brain by restoring the brain's gamma waves which stimulated microglia to do its job in "cleaning" the brain.

I'm looking to start human trials on my Dad immediately. He's losing the ability to walk right now so I want to setup some sort of lamp that he can spend an hour a day in front of .

Any guidance or recommendations appreciated. At this stage I have no idea of what sort of brightness, hue etc. I'm thinking of modifying an existing torch or lamp.

As this is a disease that affects most families I thought it may help others here too.

http://news.mit.edu/2016/visual-stimulation-treatment-alzheimer-1207

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_p4QWkE2Ls

Edit: Excellent podcast & interview with the researchers. http://www.radiolab.org/story/bringing-gamma-back/
« Last Edit: 2016-12-13, 21:43:52 by JimBoot »

Group: Renaissance Man

Buy me a cigar
Dear Jim.

I'm so sorry to read your post, my wife and I are watching the steady decline of her father to this dastardly affliction.

I'm pretty sure there's some members here that can help.

Our thoughts will be with you.

Kind regards, Graham.

---------------------------
Nanny state ? Left at the gate !! :)

Group: Administrator

It's not as complicated as it may seem...
This should be quite easy to set up.

I already have a unit that I bought almost 20 years ago, the David. It is a programmable device and includes both visual and auditory stimulation.

Why not build the device in this board but you can adapt it to drive leds rather than electrodes, or you could do both!

Dear Jim.

I'm so sorry to read your post, my wife and I are watching the steady decline of her father to this dastardly affliction.

I'm pretty sure there's some members here that can help.

Our thoughts will be with you.

Kind regards, Graham.

Thanks Grum, Yeah it affects us all. It's a shitty thing.  My wife's mum died a few years back from it. At this stage I'm thinking a 555 timer circuit just working out all the values now. I want it to be fixed at 40hz so no pots. All the best for your Father In Law.

This should be quite easy to set up.

I already have a unit that I bought almost 20 years ago, the David. It is a programmable device and includes both visual and auditory stimulation.

Why not build the device in this board but you can adapt it to drive leds rather than electrodes, or you could do both!

Thanks .99 just been search your reference got doughnuts. Any links?

I'm using this calc http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/555-astable-calculator

C= 10uf 16v electorlytic
R1 = 6.8 carbon
r2 = 1.8k carbon
ne555

based on the calc it gives me a freq of 40hz. but my build does not work yet

`

Ok working now.  Not sure if it's flashing or just steady on.   C.C

Group: Ambassador

Jim
My thoughts also go out to you and your family,
I am not far from MIT ,will see if there is more direct support available for informal testing/research.

seeing as it is Sunday, I will do this tomorrow !

Group: Experimentalist

Buy me a beer
Sorry to hear Jim.

To see if your circuit is working, connect a small speaker, though won't tell you the frequency. What about the app that Mark, Slider, posted, with that you will get an accurate frequency and duty, it's free, I have put it on my tablet, will need to drive a transistor for the power of your lamps etc.

Regards

Mike 8)

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident."
Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

As a general rule, the most successful person in life is the person that has the best information.

Buy me a cigar
Dear Jim.

I'm so glad you found this interesting research. My father in law wears glasses, I'm thinking of using those strip LED's with the self adhesive back so that the therapy could be almost continuous during waking hours. A small package containing the flashing circuit and batteries worn in a pocket.

I also started wondering if the discontinued use of the old incandescent light bulbs has had a bearing on the marked increase? After all they flickered at the resident frequency 50/60 HZ.

Kind regards, Graham.

Group: Elite Experimentalist

Interesting article, so i slapped something together quickly.

Its the above mentioned (linked) 555 timer setup directly driving a MOSFET, all from a 12V battery.
224nF cap and 2x 100K potmeters, adjusted for a 40Hz 50% duty cycle square wave signal.

The leds are 3W 3V leds and there are 4 in series (100ma)

The 40Hz flickering is very annoying, so i don't think someone would like to be in such a room for more then say half an hour.

Anyway, here is a short video so you can see for yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozQoI6kBFM8&feature=youtu.be

Itsu

Buy me a cigar
Interesting article, so i slapped something together quickly.

Its the above mentioned (linked) 555 timer setup directly driving a MOSFET, all from a 12V battery.
224nF cap and 2x 100K potmeters, adjusted for a 40Hz 50% duty cycle square wave signal.

The leds are 3W 3V leds and there are 4 in series (100ma)

The 40Hz flickering is very annoying, so i don't think someone would like to be in such a room for more then say half an hour.

Anyway, here is a short video so you can see for yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozQoI6kBFM8&feature=youtu.be

Itsu

Dear Itsu.

Well done !!   O0

I am quite surprised to see such flicker as it's only 10 Hz less than our mains frequency.

As you suggest, very annoying !!

Kind regards, Graham.

Group: Experimentalist

Dear JimBoot,

There is something else you could try that is easy, cheap, has no side effects and they say works on Alzheimer's to restore people to normal. It is 'Virgin Coconut Oil'.  The required daily dose is said to be 2 tablespoons. It is supposed to take a few weeks of it to start showing improvement but can have almost full recovery in just a few months. One of the main chemicals in coconut oil is the exact chemical needed in the brain to stop Alzheimer's. It doesn't hurt to have a go at this along with this 40HZ therapy.  Only down side is they must keep taking it the rest of their lives or will revert back to the Alzheimer's in a few months after quitting.  It doesn't hurt that coconut oil is very healthy for the body in any case, we can all use it and I take it on a regular basis.

Regards Room

P.S. It can be added to their food without them even knowing it, if it is a problem for them to take it, and it does taste good.

"Whatever our resources of primary energy may be in the future, we must, to be rational, obtain it without consumption of any material"  Nicola Tesla

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."  Edmund Burke

Dear Itsu.

Well done !!   O0

I am quite surprised to see such flicker as it's only 10 Hz less than our mains frequency.

As you suggest, very annoying !!

Kind regards, Graham.

Thanks Graham,

The 50Hz mains is AC, so it changes 100 times a second, while i used 40Hz DC.

But still,  i too was amazed by the flickering at 40Hz.

Itsu

Wow that was Great Itsu thank you. I'm surprised by the flickering. In the MIT podcast they said it was barely noticeable. I'll go back and have another listen.  I did not think something flashing 40 times a second would be that pronounced. My circuit is still not right. I'll get back to it tonight.

Room - Mums had him on the coconut oil for over a year. Thanks.

Mark - thanks I'll check out the app.

Chet awesome thanks I'll PM you.

Another great help is to give some PQQ and CoQ10. The PQQ is worth researching as it's known to improve mental functions. Watch out for big pharma disinformation. It's a natural supplement that's reduced by the processing of our foods and big pharma can't licence it.
The CO enzyme Q10 will clean out your body from many radicals. Together these work like waters from the fountain of youth. Anyone over 45 would likely benefit from the Q10. I've used it at 100mG for a few months and it has made a big difference to many older age d ailments. Those muscular aches were the first to go and it appears to be regenerating my gums which is impossible according to the professionals. No licence means suppression and we all know this one.

Thanks Azaxx I will check it out.

Just listened to the podcast again. They used a blue light with optic fibre but they did not disclose the colour of the LEDs. I'm going to assume blue. They also said the flicker was almost imperceptible. The author could just see it out of the corner of her eye. So that is a bit of a mystery unless 40hz AC???

Group: Guest
I tried a 555 timer running on a 15V regulated supply at 40Hz (50% duty) with 3W LED's. A cap of between 3,300uF and 10,000uF across the LED's progressively reduces the flicker.

Ok using an arduino nano to do the job. My calculation is 12.5ms on 12.5ms off for 40hz. Uploading video now.

I tried a 555 timer running on a 15V regulated supply at 40Hz (50% duty) with 3W LED's. A cap of between 3,300uF and 10,000uF across the LED's progressively reduces the flicker.

Right, that will smooth out the pulses, but i understand that we NEED the flickering as that is what stimulates the brain.
Only what frequency, the mentioned 40Hz (heavy flickering) or the 80Hz (subtle flickering).

itsu

Hi Itsu,

Yes, the caps do smooth out the pulses to an extent but my LED's still flicker. If the correct frequency is in fact 40Hz, then this may be how they achieved a subtle flickering.

40Hz AC would mean 80 flashes a second, but not with leds as they block one half.
I cranked up the frequency to 80Hz (DC) to see how that behaves, and indeed i think i see in the corner of my eye some flickering, but not when looking to the leds.
The video does show some flickering, so it could be that they used 40Hz AC with antiparallel leds or so.

The brain gamma waves seems to be a sinus

video here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--Hu55yD3CU

Itsu

Hi Itsu,

Yes, the caps do smooth out the pulses to an extent but my LED's still flicker. If the correct frequency is in fact 40Hz, then this may be how they achieved a subtle flickering.

Ok Hoppy, 

so that could also be a possibility  :o

More info is needed i guess.

Itsu

I see your point ref the 80Hz.  O0

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-03-29, 04:58:30