PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-04-19, 03:36:12
News: If you have a suggestion or need for a new board title, please PM the Admins.
Please remember to keep topics and posts of the FE or casual nature. :)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: HELP PLEASE! 40hz light to restore gamma waves to the brain to fight Alzheimers  (Read 52146 times)

Group: Tinkerer

This is turning out to be quite a challenging project.

In the Old Days we would have used an incandescent
bulb for the light source and some sort of small motor
driven shutter to interrupt the light to produce flicker.

Where colored light was needed a colored filter would
be used.

A more modern type of shutter might be fashioned from
an older monochrome lcd display if it has sufficient response.

Or some LEDs mounted behind a fan such that the blades
of the fan would interrupt the beams.  Varying the speed
of rotation suitably would require some thought... 

---------------------------
For there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed, and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open.

I downloaded Mindroid to my smartphone (Samsung Note 4, has a pen) and could set it to 40 Hz. The sound seems to indicate that it really is 40 Hz. But I can only do it with two big red dots on the screen. Other colors are not possible with the free version of Mindroid.

It looks like the screen of my Smartphone is fast enough, I see some black as the big red dots are flickering on and off (see the attached photo of my smartphone running Mindroid, the free version, only red dots).

I have to download a development system for my Windows PC which allows to write programs for Android smart phones. The program should allow to set the duty cycle when displaying a dot or other shapes flickering at 40 Hz on the screen. And of course one wants to experiment with different colors.

But it will take some time to write the program for my smart phone. A few years ago I wrote a few silly programs for my old smart phone and the learning curve was steep.

Greetings, Conrad

The version I put up in my post above in the .zip file will allow you to pick any color they have in the App. I assume you probably know how to do this but in case anyone else isn't sure how to install it from USB here's a quick rundown:
1. Go to "about phone" in your settings.   
2. Tap on the 'Build number' section about 8 or 9 times until it says 'Developer options' enabled.
3. then back out of the "about phone" and look for "Developer options" in your settings.
4. tap Developer options and then check the box for USB debugging
4a. Go back to settings and look for Security. Tap Security and check the box "Unknown Sources" so you can install from a file without going through Google Play store.
5. attach usb cable to phone and computer
6. Unzip Mindroid file to computer and then copy it to your phone 'download' folder
7. Use phone file manager to find file and tap it to install

This is turning out to be quite a challenging project.

In the Old Days we would have used an incandescent
bulb for the light source and some sort of small motor
driven shutter to interrupt the light to produce flicker.

Where colored light was needed a colored filter would
be used.

A more modern type of shutter might be fashioned from
an older monochrome lcd display if it has sufficient response.

Or some LEDs mounted behind a fan such that the blades
of the fan would interrupt the beams.  Varying the speed
of rotation suitably would require some thought...

You may want to look at the Mindroid App - I think it takes care of most concerns and is quite simple to use.   I did a screen capture during a session in Mindroid using a binaural setting and you can see comparing it to conradelectro's picture that the right eye red circle is completely off.  When viewing it in real time it appears both sides are flickering rapidly.   If you have your phone brightness setting set high and auto brightness turned off you'll find these color circles to be every bit as bright as and LED.   Note that the reason one side is off during this instant in the capture is because it is in Binaural mode.

Quote from: e2matrix
You may want to look at the Mindroid App -

:'( :) As an Old Faahrt who is kinda stuck in the past
I marvel at how people use these new-fangled thing-a
-ma-bobs to do all kinds of things including the mobile
telephone. ;)

If I was two or three decades younger I'd probably be
into that kind of stuff too. ;D

Beam me up Scotty! 8)

For there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed, and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open.

:'( :) As an Old Faahrt who is kinda stuck in the past
I marvel at how people use these new-fangled thing-a
-ma-bobs to do all kinds of things including the mobile
telephone. ;)

If I was two or three decades younger I'd probably be
into that kind of stuff too. ;D

Beam me up Scotty! 8)

LOL - can't be any more complex than electronics  ;)     You might be surprised how old I am though - I'll just say you've got a couple years on me but not by much.

Group: Ambassador

e2
It would seem there are plenty of methods to achieve a 40hz pulse,  from Dumped's Fan on a Potentiometer  in front of a bulb
all the way to Apps and such.

what is really needed is the ability to see if this Dormant or "effected" Gamma wave form is being manifest in the patient during treatments

seeing _that_ part of the brain react to the stimuli is imperative,

what does this gamma wave form look like ?
what part of the brain does this particular Gamma wave  manifest from?[where to place the sensor/electrode?

are sharper pulses relevant to effect treatment ?
softer ? [the answer would be in the data or viewing

having the whole picture would hopefully enlighten Us and help those suffering from this horrible disease?

respectfully
Chet 

Group: Renaissance Man

Buy me a cigar
Hi Chet.

A valid point, we could do with something that can " read " whether the brain is being stimulated by the process.

I too am stuck in the past.... I was warned about the mobile/cell phone many years ago by an acquaintance who worked at NASA his area of expertise was in radio frequency communication. As a consequence I have never owned and rarely used one! I feel I would need a " Dumb " phone not a smart one!

Kind regards, Graham.

Nanny state ? Left at the gate !! :)

e2
It would seem there are plenty of methods to achieve a 40hz pulse,  from Dumped's Fan on a Potentiometer  in front of a bulb
all the way to Apps and such.

what is really needed is the ability to see if this Dormant or "effected" Gamma wave form is being manifest in the patient during treatments

seeing _that_ part of the brain react to the stimuli is imperative,

what does this gamma wave form look like ?
what part of the brain does this particular Gamma wave  manifest from?[where to place the sensor/electrode?

are sharper pulses relevant to effect treatment ?
softer ? [the answer would be in the data or viewing

having the whole picture would hopefully enlighten Us and help those suffering from this horrible disease?

respectfully
Chet
"All humans display five different types of electrical patterns or “brain waves” across the cortex. The brain waves can be observed with an EEG (or an “electroencephalograph”) – a tool that allows researchers to note brain wave patterns. Each brain wave has a purpose and helps serve us in optimal mental functioning."    So unless you have an EEG (expensive) you may have to trust that such LED or smartphone screen or whichever method does indeed entrain the brain to that frequency.   I know from personal experience that using LED flashing in a binaural mode along sound most definitely has an effect on your mind and depending on which frequency you choose will do anything from put you into a deep sleep (delta) to have you feeling like you just drank 4 cups of coffee (high beta or gamma).

Personally I use a cell phone mostly as a handheld computer and do avoid talking on them.   I don't text except very rarely (maybe once in a couple months) and only keep one with me for emergencies and very brief talks if I'm away from my GF.  I am aware of the EMF issue and keep them away from my body as much as possible.    I think if you use one in the VR type goggles it will be away from your face far enough that the benefits of the Gamma flashing will outweigh any EMF concerns and you should put it in 'Airplane mode' when using it this way since that turns OFF the cellular radio.  Also turn off Wifi and Bluetooth.   

e2
here is an "old school" method for this DIY EEG

{Repost from post 51 in this thread]
Chet K
"Jim
as mentioned,  It will be necessary to see if the required repair sequence is stimulated by this light pulse therapy.

here is an example just to show how simple this home brew EEG [Electroencephalogram]  could be [seeing brain activity]

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-EEG-and-ECG-Circuit/

very exciting possibilities here
end quote
------------------------------

respectfully
Chet K 

Group: Elite Experimentalist

... .-.. .. -.. . .-.
Am old skool here too in many ways.... especially the House/Acid music side of old skool  :D
Got a landline, my cellphone is for playing games on and was a gift from a relative 'for parts'  O0

The Mindroid App is a blast !
Flickering circles with whale noises. I downloaded a setting to edit, but it wouldn't keep it stored for some reason. Will look at it again though definitely, was just a 10 minute look-see. And, yep, drawing a straight line with the finger is nigh on impossible. A trick, may be to put a ruler over the screen and use a pen tip.

Here's an alternative 'simple' EEG circuit:
http://erkutlu.blogspot.com/2012/12/eeg-and-arduino-do-it-yourself-eeg-ekg.html
Perhaps we need to look at what it has to do and then design a "How To Do It" for this 40Hz purpose.
The guy in the link does say about notch filtering ambient 60Hz noise, it's a good read.
His circuit utilises an AD620 instrumentation amplifier chip, so I went off to Ebay to see about a price.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1PCS-AD620ARZ-AD620-chip-instrumentation-amplifiers-SOP-8-NEW-/142062762021
$1.32 each :)

Am not sure where I read this (have been clicking merrily all over the place), but an Aloe Vera and salt solution is touted as working well for going on a head sensor.

ʎɐqǝ from pɹɐoqʎǝʞ a ʎnq ɹǝʌǝu

Group: Guest
Using EEG to try to tell what the brain is doing is like standing in the parking lot outside a sports stadium and trying to figure out what is happening on the field by listening to the roar of the crowd.

a snip from the MIT article
""
This treatment appears to work by inducing brain waves known as gamma oscillations, which the researchers discovered help the brain suppress beta amyloid production and invigorate cells responsible for destroying the plaques. ""

---------------------------------------

How to see these "gamma oscillations " as they become "induced" ,would be a more specific goal of this particular EEG approach.

maybe getting as close as the Nosebleed seats for starters ?

I am actually quite amazed that the arduino can be used in this EEG application/ investigation and am anxious to see Marks results !

... .-.. .. -.. . .-.
So am I  :D

First thing is to order a couple of those AD620's...will look for a USA seller.

Update:
Bought 5 for $6.85
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-pcs-Instrumentation-Amplifier-IC-AD620-AD620AN-DIP-8-/401230846457

Group: Professor

The 40Hz flickering is very annoying, so i don't think someone would like to be in such a room for more then say half an hour.
That's because LEDs' light output is rectangular.
The flicker of a sine light output at 40Hz would not be so noticeable.

Unfortunately, driving a LED with sine wave voltage, does not produce a sine light output :(   
This is because LED's light intensity is proportional to current - not to voltage.   Scope the current flowing through a LED, while driving it with a triangular voltage waveform and see for yourself.

For a sine light output, a sine wave current drive would be required.  This would require a rail-to-rail op-amp coupled to a CSR.  If the op-amp is not powerful enough to light the LED by itself, then an additional analog output driver (e.g. an emitter follower buffer or the EL2009) would need to be inserted between the op-amp and the CSR (as in Diag.2 or Diag.3).

It might also be possible to do all that with the LM317 adjustable regulator.  I think I've once seen TinselKoala use this regulator in an atypical application acting as such V-->I converter + Buffer. 

P.S.
The analog output drivers, such as: An audio amplifier, FG's direct output ...or the upcoming EL2009 buffer, all constitute variable voltage sources

« Last Edit: 2016-12-17, 10:01:00 by verpies »

I tried square, triangular and sine wave signals last week, but no noticeable difference in flickering was seen, only the intensity varied.
I only measured the current on the square wave signal.

As my EL2009 FG buffer is almost ready i have no more EL2009 available, but i could use an ad8032 rail-to-rail op-amp as in your diag-1 or diag-2 setup.
The LM317 circuit would be possible too as i have severall coming, hopefully TK can remember.

Itsu

I tried square, triangular and sine wave signals last week, but no noticeable difference in flickering was seen, only the intensity varied.
...but those were not current wavefroms.

I only measured the current on the square wave signal.
You could add to you to-do list on a next video, the scoping of the current flowing through a LED when driven by an all-positive triangular voltage waveform.
I'm mentioning it only because it would be educational to other members here.

...I could use an ad8032 rail-to-rail op-amp as in your diag-1 or diag-2 setup.
Yes, that op-amp will work but I think it will need some kind of help (buffer) at its output (like in Diag.2 or Diag.3) because it is not strong enough to light a big LED.

BTW: That 1Ω CSR programs the voltage-to-current converter to output 1A per 1V input.  You can change that if you want, e.g. a 10Ω CSR will make it output 100mA per 1V.  Possibly a N-ch MOSFET can be used in place of the NPN BJT emitter follower buffer ...possibly.

BONUS RANT:
Also, as usual with any current sourcing circuits, an "open circuit" situation (e.g. when the LED becomes disconnected) is a damaging condition to such circuit (e.g. it will blow the BJT emitter follower), just like a "short circuit" situation is a damaging condition to any voltage sourcing circuits.
In other words: current sources don't like to be opened and voltage sources don't like to be shorted.

Buy me a cigar
Hello All.

I wonder if audio could stimulate the response? I'm a firm believer in a couple of hours of my favourite music every night. My father in law has sadly stopped listening to music favouring the inane rubbish on the TV.

Thanks Verpies, I had mentioned the triangular/sinusoidal waveform earlier but without your excellent explanation of the current aspect. The 50 Hz frequency was easily observed on our older single tube fluorescent lights that's why incandescent lamps were used to illuminate the work on a lathe, as the work could appear stationary under certain speed conditions. ( stroboscopic effect )

Cheers Graham.

My father in law has sadly stopped listening to music favouring the inane rubbish on the TV.
That stuff atrophies brains.
Soon he will be complaining that there aren't enough gay pairs to adopt all the children held by social services.

Using EEG to try to tell what the brain is doing is like standing in the parking lot outside a sports stadium and trying to figure out what is happening on the field by listening to the roar of the crowd.

I tend to agree in that when your brain is entrained to a particular range - theta for example - there will be elements of the other 4 states present also.  Theta may be predominant but you'll still have some beta, gamma, delta and alpha present in most cases. 

Hello All.

I wonder if audio could stimulate the response? I'm a firm believer in a couple of hours of my favourite music every night. My father in law has sadly stopped listening to music favouring the inane rubbish on the TV.

Thanks Verpies, I had mentioned the triangular/sinusoidal waveform earlier but without your excellent explanation of the current aspect. The 50 Hz frequency was easily observed on our older single tube fluorescent lights that's why incandescent lamps were used to illuminate the work on a lathe, as the work could appear stationary under certain speed conditions. ( stroboscopic effect )

Cheers Graham.

Audio alone can entrain your brain into a particular range also - especially if using binaural beats but it is quicker and more effective if using flickering light also.   The Monroe institute did some of the early research in this area.   Theta technogies which had one of the early 'mind machines' worked closely with the Monroe institute.   

Buy me a cigar
That stuff atrophies brains.
Soon he will be complaining that there aren't enough gay pairs to adopt all the children held by social services.

Dear Verpies.

Sadly his condition precludes comprehension of your post....but that's a " can of worms " that really needs to be opened sooner rather than later!!

Kind regards, Graham.

... .-.. .. -.. . .-.
My Mum played classical music to me when I was in the womb.
I don't know if that should have been "to" or "at" in the above sentence :)

Perhaps...the LED flicker rate sets up the ability for repairs in the brain, but the right tones and mood changing effects may guide the repairs to where needed. Sort of like a radio being able to tune in to a heavy metal station, but if not in the mood for it you're not going to enjoy it.

My Mum played classical music to me when I was in the womb.
I don't know if that should have been "to" or "at" in the above sentence :)

Perhaps...the LED flicker rate sets up the ability for repairs in the brain, but the right tones and mood changing effects may guide the repairs to where needed. Sort of like a radio being able to tune in to a heavy metal station, but if not in the mood for it you're not going to enjoy it.

I got a pair of headphones for dad with a bunch of his favorite music. Dad is a wonderful tenor who loves his music and he really enjoys the music through the headphones. There is an excellent doc about music and Alzheimer's.

My dad is being moved from hospital to a nursing home tomorrow where I'll be setting up the light permanently. It's chewing through the 9 volt batteries. I'm thinking about powering it from a usb power adapter but that will make it a bit dimmer with the lower voltage or just wire in a 9 volt transformer.

Group: Elite

It's turtles all the way down
I've used this device in the past because it comes with several nice GUI's, two channel generator 4 to 200kHz with variable duty cycle, as well as analog inputs, other digital I/O. Very easy to use if you don't feel like programming but a bit more expensive than other approaches but saves a lot of time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/iCP12-usbStick-6-Ch-Analog-USB-Oscilloscope-Unlimited-Logger-PIC18F2550-/280916642088?hash=item4167efc928:g:mfUAAOSwys5WUMMB

"Secrecy, secret societies and secret groups have always been repugnant to a free and open society"......John F Kennedy

...but those were not current wavefroms.
You could add to you to-do list on a next video, the scoping of the current flowing through a LED when driven by an all-positive triangular voltage waveform.
I'm mentioning it only because it would be educational to other members here.
Yes, that op-amp will work but I think it will need some kind of help (buffer) at its output (like in Diag.2 or Diag.3) because it is not strong enough to light a big LED.

BTW: That 1Ω CSR programs the voltage-to-current converter to output 1A per 1V input.  You can change that if you want, e.g. a 10Ω CSR will make it output 100mA per 1V.  Possibly a N-ch MOSFET can be used in place of the NPN BJT emitter follower buffer ...possibly.

BONUS RANT:
Also, as usual with any current sourcing circuits, an "open circuit" situation (e.g. when the LED becomes disconnected) is a damaging condition to such circuit (e.g. it will blow the BJT emitter follower), just like a "short circuit" situation is a damaging condition to any voltage sourcing circuits.
In other words: current sources don't like to be opened and voltage sources don't like to be shorted.

No video, but screenshots.

A single blue 3mm led driven by my FG with  all-positive sine, square and triangular waveforms, measuring the voltage (yellow) and the current (green)
FG voltage setting was 2.8V and the current controller set to 1mA/Div.

Note the difference in rms current between the waveforms.

Itsu

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-04-19, 03:36:12