PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-04-19, 20:24:28
News: Registration with the OUR forum is by admin approval.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Power Supplies  (Read 39518 times)

Group: Administrator

It's not as complicated as it may seem...
Also,

I received this email from ThermoFisher Scientific regarding my request for an EC600 manual:

Darren,
Please see attachment. This is the only information I am able to locate on the EC 600 power supply.

Thank you,
Chad E. Goddard
Technical Support
Separations Products
ThermoFisher Scientific
401 Millcreek Rd.
Marietta,Ohio 45750
Main Number:  800.438.4851

Please visit our Knowledge Base:  http://www.thermoscientific.com/elabservice                                        

For Microplate Instrumentation Products visit:  http://www.thermo-reading-room.com/

Unfortunately, it is only an operator manual, and it is for a newer vintage of EC600 with digital meters. It still might be useful for understanding how to use the older one though.

I'll do a follow-up regarding the older vintage. We may end up having to trace the circuit out manually though if we want to go that far.

Group: Elite Experimentalist

Frequency equals matter...

Buy me a drink
Thanks. I will look it over.

---------------------------

Group: Tinkerer

tExB=qr
the Hoefer PS 2500 got lost in the mail (US Mail of course...) - got a refund

Ordered an EC650 and an FB600 on Ebay for about $75 each - Score!!!  (Hope they work...)

EC650 has two ranges: 6000v at 100ma and 2000v and 350ma
FB600 is like an EC600: 4000v at around 300ma (can't rememebr specs exactly)

waiting for some 1meg resistors and UHMW plate and will mount avalanche transistor strings on a strip of the UHMW turned sideways.  I.e. the transistors will straddle the strip of plate and I'll mount that sideways on anothe plate. No more leakage.

tExB=qr
Received my EC600 today.

Unfortunately, the seller did a very poor job of packing the unit and it has suffered significant chassis damage from a drop or two.  >:(

I have not powered the unit up, and I'm not really inspired to now. I have emailed the ebay seller to see what they want to do about this.

We all make mistakes from time to time, but this thing weighs quite a bit, and how to pack it properly should have been a no-brainer.  :-\  I hate when this happens!

Hang on to this unit if you can not get a refund.  Lots of EC600's around.  I may wind up with an extra unit as the one I just paid for was too good to pass up (if it works).

tExB=qr
EC650 and FB600 seem ok so far.  FB600 was roughed up a little due to poor packing, but ok so far.

EC600 was roughed up a lot in shipping (poor packing like the FB600) - a board had even come out of it's slot.  Red hv wires inside had hard dry insulation, replaced all with 600v wire wrapped with Kapton tape.  Unit indicates leakage to ground when turned on.  FB600 and EC600 perform same function and look a lot alike, but different controls and internals.

These thing are meant to sit on a bench not be thrown out the back of a truck.  So, there are some good deals out there but getting an item that works and getting in one piece are "hit and miss".

Buy me a drink
@grumpy, .99
sweet deal on the ec600s. guess I am blessed. mine is in perfect working condition. It was originally in a college lab. still got the property id sticker on it.
Got quite the hum to it tho. Like industrial!

I wonder what it has seen?

tExB=qr
operators manuals for EC600 and EC650:

http://cp-thermofisher.kb.net/display/4/kb/article.aspx?aid=258559&n=1&docid=419736&tab=search

http://cp-thermofisher.kb.net/display/4/kb/article.aspx?aid=258560&n=1&docid=404257&tab=search

I have inquired about service manuals and schematics, but don't expect them to have anything.

Yaman, just got myself an EC-600-90 on ebay. The guy shipped it today so should be here in about a week, I hope.

Nice unit!

I HOPE you requested that they pack it VERY well.

Let's hope it fairs better than mine did on the journey, and that it works.

btw, what did you pay?

The Seller had listed it as Buy it Now for $399.99 plus there was a Make an Offer, so I offered him $150 which he accepted. Shipping added $40 more bucks to Canada and I did ask and he did confirm that it would be very well packaged. The proof will be in the pudding. So I hope it will be "pudding" out some good voltage soon.

:o Wow, you stole that one big guy....good goin' :)

I hope it works too.

btw, was it shipped from US or Canada? (I paid $120US shipping for mine  >:()

Yes, from California to Montreal by USPS Priority Mail International. From the USA I only order stuff that can be shipped by USPS, since it will only cost $5 brokerage fee, whereas UPS shafts me $30. Also USPS comes in with Canada Post that leaves a card at my home so I go and pick it up at the local post station, whereas on top of getting shafted by UPS, I or anyone in the family has to wait all day at home to sign for it.

Finally got some time (and space) to get some pictures of Mr. EC600's damage.

We'll see what the seller says.

« Last Edit: 2010-11-11, 14:49:11 by poynt99 »

Group: Elite

It's turtles all the way down
Hope you get to find a good one.

I've got about half a dozen or so various models but the EC600 is my favorite.

I've had these units over 10 years with no problems.

Looks like I started a trend here with the EC600

"Secrecy, secret societies and secret groups have always been repugnant to a free and open society"......John F Kennedy

Hi ION. I doubt I will be looking any further than this one. Either this one works, or I'm done.

I've tried quite hard today to see if there is a service manual available for purchase on the web, but I came up empty. I sent an email to artisan-scientific on the slim chance they might have one or know where one can be obtained. The circuit is quite large and would take considerable time to draw out. There are about 10 adjustment pots with cryptic lettering telling what they are. If we can figure those out, that would probably be enough to get us by, as all the chips are in sockets and are readily available, i.e. MC14000 series CMOS (a lot) and several MC1458 op amps.

I can fix/straighten this unit, but it is going to require that I disassemble it. I have not turned it on in fear of a washer or something causing a short circuit.

The one good thing about this unit, is it doesn't appear that any jackass has tried repairing/botching it.  :P

tExB=qr
Several of us have EC600's to help figure it out.  I also have an FB600 (Fisher Biotech) which works.

The EC650 manual can loosely be applied to the EC600 for operational concepts and settings.  IT has schematics and the general idea is the same.  It has digital meters though.

The one good thing about this unit, is it doesn't appear that any jackass has tried repairing/botching it.  :P

Amen on that, I'll take an  untouched dead unit anyday over someone else's repair botch job.

Let me know if you need any voltage readings and I'll pop the cover and get them to you.

Best of Luck

"Secrecy, secret societies and secret groups have always been repugnant to a free and open society"......John F Kennedy

Thanks guys, we'll see how it goes.
;)

Well, the guy was adamant that his packaging is usually adequate  ::), but we managed to agree on a $100 refund.

So in the end I will have payed $100 for the unit, but it now requires that I disassemble it, straighten the chassis out, replace 3 nylon standoffs, check it out thoroughly, re-assemble, then try powering it up.

Buy me a drink
The EC600 club.

We be bad! Kinda like Hog riders, eh?

The great thing about the EC600 are the circuit boards are routed very wide, meaning things are well spaced. Nothing crammed together.

@.99.
No broken circuit boards? Continuity checks ok on the transformers?

Last trip to the hospital today. Stitches out and doing fine. Don't have to keep the foot elevated any more. The bench is calling severely and bad weather is coming.

Stephan the barbarian wiped out my Lords of the ring thread on Overunity.com. I was teaching from that. Oh well. When clowns attack...

Jason also turned me onto cascode amplifiers. Simple, high gain, high bandwidth.

@all

Regarding the EC600-90, have any of you guys gotten any mileage out of it. Seems like the supply is very coil ohms dependent where it was specifically designed to drive the electrophoretic cells. It certainly does not like my own coils given they are not on the same ohms range.

I put a EC600-90 users manual here;
http://purco.qc.ca/ftp/Equipment%20Manuals/ec600-90/

So, from what I can understand form using this supply, is that if my coils do not meet the ohms values required by the supply, it will not permit the voltage/mA/watts settings I have given it and will only go up to as much as it can given the actual coil ohms I am using.

If there is no way to internally modify this supply to overide these functional limitations, then I will simply have to put this device back up for sale. lol

Any comments welcome.

wattsup

Added: I just received a fully functional FLUKE 97 50MHZ ScopeMeter that my brother in Ottawa got for me for $150 bucks. Incredible. This will enable me to freeze the screen and even more and no more "what voltage and frequency is this?" hassles. Now to find a second frequency generator. I would like to have three in all.
« Last Edit: 2011-01-17, 23:11:10 by wattsup »

@all

Regarding the EC600-90, have any of you guys gotten any mileage out of it. Seems like the supply is very coil ohms dependent where it was specifically designed to drive the electrophoretic cells. It certainly does not like my own coils given they are not on the same ohms range.

I put a EC600-90 users manual here;
http://purco.qc.ca/ftp/Equipment%20Manuals/ec600-90/

So, from what I can understand form using this supply, is that if my coils do not meet the ohms values required by the supply, it will not permit the voltage/mA/watts settings I have given it and will only go up to as much as it can given the actual coil ohms I am using.

If there is no way to internally modify this supply to override these functional limitations, then I will simply have to put this device back up for sale. lol

Any comments welcome.

wattsup

What specifically are your "load" requirements for voltage
and current?

This power supply has some sophisticated sensory and
control circuitry to limit load current and/or voltage level
and is best suited for high impedances.

It is possible though to use it in conjunction with an external
capacitor and an isolating charging choke to furnish very brief
high current impulses by means of some sort of switching circuit.

The current limited features of the power supply would enable
it to safely charge the capacitor between discharge pulses.

For there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed, and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open.

@Dumped

There is never anything specific, only what is happening at the moment in experiments that lead you to want to try some low amperage/high voltage biasing or pulsing. It would have been great.

I can't remember where I read this but it needs 300 ohms for the cells.

wattsup

Has anyone had any luck finding a schematic for an EC 600 (metered unit).

Mine went bad  and I miss having it functional.

Also need a schematic for an EC 135 which is down.

Both units manufactured by EC Apparatus / Savant Instruments Inc. but they may be out of business.

Thanks in advance for any help.
« Last Edit: 2011-10-21, 20:18:19 by ION »

I know a few of you have EC600 power supplies (analog metering) made by EC Apparatus Corp that may not be working.

I have taken some time out to attempt a repair on my unit as schematics have not been available, and the EC600-90 digital metered unit is quite different than the EC600, with only a few minor points of similarity.

In the process I have created a top PCB partial schematic, and a few rough block diagrams.

I now have most features of my unit working again and have acquired a fair knowledge base of the device operation.

Would anyone else here be interested in assisting with continuing the reverse engineering process?

All drawings are being made in Tinycad, and are not yet completed.

I am doing this in tandem with further  research into the SM and the Spheric offerings.

It's good to keep the mind active, besides, I like solving puzzles.

Anyone who could actually get hold of a schematic would be a great help, then I could jut concentrate on a troubleshooting flow diagram.

I will post the partial info on my bench, which will be updated as new info comes forth.

Prices on EC600 units are now down to around $100 including shipping, a steal for such a beast of a supply.

« Last Edit: 2019-03-06, 15:18:27 by ion »

Pages: 1 [2] 3
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-04-19, 20:24:28