PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-04-18, 19:27:30
News: Forum TIP:
The SHOUT BOX deletes messages after 3 hours. It is NOT meant to have lengthy conversations in. Use the Chat feature instead.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 35
Author Topic: OUR, window on the world.  (Read 260059 times)

Group: Moderator

Buy me a cigar
Dear All.

I was in conversation with Chet earlier today and whilst he is under 2 foot of snow I have Snowdrops in bloom. Temperature 4 deg C.

I just thought that it would be nice to share this years natural unfolding with everyone.

The attached photo was taken at 1500 hrs GMT. Our brook, Black Brook wending it's weary way to the River Alyn, is captured in the background.

Cheers Grum.
« Last Edit: 2015-02-06, 19:15:41 by Peterae »

---------------------------
Nanny state ? Left at the gate !! :)

Group: Ambassador

Grum
tomorrow I will send a shot of My brook....
its like Mount Snow around here ,and more coming.....I could use some of TinMans 42C at the moment.... :'(

Group: Guest
Chet, careful what you wish for. Here's a phone camera dodgy panorama from Central Queensland Aus. almost right on the "Tropic of Capricorn", we get lots of sun and/rain, during summer the sun is so strong it stings the skin then it rains a torrential downpour and when the sun comes back out it's like living in a sauna with the sun on you as well when outside. It can get truly oppressive, but I don't like the cold. This area looks nice in a picture, but being here takes the edge off at times because of the humidity and heat together, not sure if Tinman's area gets tropical like here. So far this year not too bad, I've got free air con now. Thank the heavens for that.

I've never seen snow in real life, it doesn't snow here ever but we do get hailstorms and serious electrical storms. Downright scary when you live on the top of a ridgeline on a mountain.

Good luck with the heavy snow, take care. I feel for ya. I see it on the Telly, looks nasty cold there.

P.S. Oh I forgot the deadly snakes, you can take some heat if you take some snakes as well, you can have all the eastern brown snakes and Taipans over 3 feet long. hehehe
Tinman might have some Tiger snakes or Death Adders if you want them as well.  O0

Farmhand
Yes it Looks beautiful ....however I know what you mean about the heat and humidity,it gets hard to breathe if you exert yourself.[at least if your not adjusted to it]

one thing about  snow, you have to shovel it ....The _boys_ use to complain that it was Too cold outside to shovel...
I handed them a shovel and said "here grab a furnace" ten minutes with this and you'll be taking cloths off do to the heat...worked every time  O0

may I ask how you get free Aircond?

thx for the pic

Chet

Chet the free Air con is a bit tongue in cheek, someone else paid for the unit and fitted it, the power here is virtually free last bill for three months was about $40.00,
grid tie solar array almost gave a zero bill. The next one will be credit I think. More sun now and the majority of power being used during the day.
Better to aim for a zero bill than try to make money from exporting power. In my opinion, depends on the tariff.

Buy me a cigar
Dear contributors.

Many thanks for getting this thread off to a good start. I feel there should always be a little time spent just kicking back and enjoying life as best we can. I was very lucky to be given a second chance, so to speak !!

Farmhands photo made me so envious, I could feel the warmth oozing out of my monitor, snakes? No worries, we have kept a few over the years. Funny though, Oz seems to be the receptacle for a much greater diversity of dangerous critters than anywhere else.
I sometimes wonder whether it was some sort of ancient experiment ?? Oooh, moving into the area of theology, I think I'll pass !!   ;)

Keep em coming.  O0

Cheers Grum.

Group: Elite Experimentalist

Buy me some coffee
Well im off on vacation tomorrow.
Here is a couple of snaps of where we are heading. I have been delivering freight to this place for a year now,and have never seen the beaches lol.
Nearly the caribbean TJ lol.

See you all when i get back-->if i come back lol. O0

Never let your schooling get in the way of your education.

Where are these pictures from???

Answer:

Group: Professor

Beautiful, Nerzh!
You live in Normandy, right?
(sorry if I got that wrong!)

Steve

Buy me a cigar
Beautiful, Nerzh!
You live in Normandy, right?
(sorry if I got that wrong!)

Steve

Dear NerzhDishual .

Stunning !!  Love the sound of that sausage !!   ;)  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mol%C3%A8ne

Cheers Grum.

NerzhDishual, Those are some really nice images.

Is it ok to use them as wallpapers screen savers ect. ?
I've got a thing for rocks and vistas.

The picture with the big pebbles is very interesting to look at.

Hi people,
Thanks for your feed back.
Some answers:

@PhysicsProf: I live in Brittany. ;)

@Grumage: Yes, Molène smoked sausage is known worldwide. ;D

@Farmhand: A lot of genuine and not copyrighted pictures here:
http://freenrg.info/Free_Pictures/
Notably: http://freenrg.info/Free_Pictures/Molene/

Cheers,
Jean

Well
Its not much of a pic however you get the idea ...
one is of two pieces of equipment sitting sadly
in the snow ,the other shot is back towards My house from the
hoop building [which was being crunched]
lots of snow here ,still removing 3 feet from the
roof of my Motherinlaws empty house ,she hasn't
moved in yet and when the house is not heated
 the snow doesn't melt and can crush big spans
quite easily... :D

Group: Professor

Everyman decries immorality
If 3 foot of snow dropped on the UK the entire country would grind to halt, we had a few inches not many years ago and people could not cope. The government ran out of grit for the roads within 24 hours and it was a complete shambles. If we are entering a new Maunder Minimum as some scientists are now saying most in the UK will struggle to survive. Personally I do not like the snow, not got the body fat to cope with it, and I am in favour of "Global Warming", pity it is a lie not backed by the data!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maunder_Minimum

Everyman Standing Order 01: In the Face of Tyranny; Everybody Stands, Nobody Runs.
Everyman Standing Order 02: Everyman is Responsible for Energy and Security.
Everyman Standing Order 03: Everyman knows Timing is Critical in any Movement.

Buy me a cigar
Dear Chet.

Many thanks for the photos. The last time I personally saw snow that deep was the winter of 62/63. I was 7 years old !!

As EA says, these days Britain would grind to a halt !! Back then I still had to attend school.

Cheers Grum.

Here's a pic of my Brook [covered over with snow  :o]
it runs through the whole pic from right to left at the treeline.
and one other building off to the side which still needs
clearing ,  gotta do "Moms" first  >:(

speaking of which...heading back to Moms Now for more
toiling ....

so now you fellows know why I want to hide in
Mr Caribbeans suitcase when he goes to that balmy island... O0

Chet

Dear Chet,

thanks for sharing these pictures, beautiful and I like your place and I love the snow.

Alex

Alex
Thanks , I will gladly send you all you need... ;D

Chet

Group: Experimentalist

Buy me a beer
Vladimir

those yellow flowers are mimosa or am I mistaken. If it is, mine is fully out now, I will take a photo tomorrow

Not too warm here, well it did go up to 19c the other day :D, but today 14c and I'm feeling cold ;D

Did see snow here one year, lasted 24hrs only. Just 80km up the road there is half a meter and a ski resort, I can do sking and sun myself on the beach all in one hour :D :D :D

regards

Mike 8)

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident."
Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

As a general rule, the most successful person in life is the person that has the best information.

I might need to learn how to fly before the morning, we got a cat 4 cyclone expected to intensify to cat 5 cyclone "Marcia" should be here just before daylight, should get about a half a meter of rain from it as well as wind gusts up to 250 to 280 Kph maybe more if it keeps intensifying. This is when I'm glad I'm a fussy builder of buildings.

Sometimes the small ones are more damaging with the wind, but the big ones dump water like mad. This one is small but fairly intense wind gusts apparently.

Being dead on top of a mountain might be good because of less debris in the wind. Hopefully it'll calm down, and if it doesn't I hope nothing or no one gets killed or badly injured. Spare phone and a wind up torch/radio in my grab bag with a whole bunch of strong pain killers, they could be useful if someone is badly injured. I'll get a helmet, safety glasses that I can tape on  O0 and prepare some makeshift body armor just in case I need to change my position.

Group: Experimentalist

Buy me a beer
Wow farmhand, keep your head down. My sister is in New Zeland at the moment but far enough away.

The weather all over the world is strange at the moment, here in Europe the winters are getting shorter but big extreams. Here in Spain we have had up to 1.5mtrs of snow this winter and it has taken a week the clear some roads to villages higher up.

Here where I am in Valencia it has been very mild, a good job as use less oil for heating.

regards

Mike 8)

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident."
Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

As a general rule, the most successful person in life is the person that has the best information.

The eye is still a couple of hundred Klm's from here, I'm south east of Rockhampton, the rain is really starting to come down now but it should be light before the strong winds get to near here so that's a lot better to begin with, but it has intensified to cat 5. There's another in the Gulf up north so we can compare notes later, hahaha.

Oh and there is an occasional odd sounding thunder clap, they don't rumble just like a single "boom". Cool.

http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/meteye/?loc=QLD_FA001

FarmHand
I hope you did OK with the twister,they can be really Dicey...

Group: Tinkerer

I have rarely seen snow. Was a balmy 36deg here. Tinman, Farmhand and I form the Aussie triangle. We're each about 3 -4000 kms from each other. My sunrise.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 35
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-04-18, 19:27:30