PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-03-29, 11:49:19
News: Check out the Benches; a place for people to moderate their own thread and document their builds and data.
If you would like your own Bench, please PM an Admin.
Most Benches are visible only to members.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 35
Author Topic: OUR, window on the world.  (Read 256655 times)

Group: Tinkerer

That was this morning's sunrise as we farewell Autumn. Hope yours is nice too :)

Group: Moderator

Buy me a cigar
Well, today is my 61st birthday.

Most spend time celebrating, not me I spent my day under the car. After my recent disaster in the turbo charger area.

The replacement " cartridge " arrived this morning and turned out to be a quite pleasant and easy rebuild.....

Things went South rather rapidly after that though, I could do with a well trained mouse for the refit everything's so

b****y tightly packed these days.

I've knocked off now and shall be raising a glass or two later, cheers Grum.  O0

---------------------------
Nanny state ? Left at the gate !! :)

Group: Experimentalist

Believing in something false doesn't make it true.
Happy Birthday Graham,

I hope your next ten go as well as my last ten have.  Only a few minor surgeries and still going along pretty well at 71 and 1/2.

Best wishes for a good rest of the day.

Carroll

Just because it is on YouTube does not make it real.

Group: Ambassador

Grum
Have a wonderful Bday

I hope you have a hundred more ...

O0

Group: Guest
Happy Birthday Graham !!   Many happy returns....      O0

Group: Guest
That was this morning's sunrise as we farewell Autumn. Hope yours is nice too :)

Beautiful sunrise photo. To paraphrase Grace Slick... "all my sunrises come in the evening..."

Up here in the Northern Hemisphere we have a saying,

"Red sky at night, sailor's delight
Red sky at morning, sailor take warning"

I suppose it's flipped around though  "down under"  ! 

8)

Group: Tinkerer

Have a great one Grum may you have many more. TK we have the same saying, we inherit a lot of stuff from the nortneners :)

Buy me a cigar
Have a great one Grum may you have many more. TK we have the same saying, we inherit a lot of stuff from the nortneners :)

Including decent motorcycles, it seems!!   ;) ( Nortneners )

Thanks guys, a little Red has hit the spot!   O0

Group: Professor

Everyman decries immorality
Happy birthday mate!

O0

Everyman Standing Order 01: In the Face of Tyranny; Everybody Stands, Nobody Runs.
Everyman Standing Order 02: Everyman is Responsible for Energy and Security.
Everyman Standing Order 03: Everyman knows Timing is Critical in any Movement.

Buy me a cigar
Happy birthday mate!

O0

Cheers Rob.   O0

Group: Elite Experimentalist

Buy me some coffee
Happy birthday Grum-may your turbo run well lol.

You know it was your birthday here in WA half a day before it was your birthday  :D

Brad

Never let your schooling get in the way of your education.

Group: Experimentalist

Buy me a beer
Happy birthday Graham, here I have a house full of grand children from Hengoed, nothing much getting done, also p...ing down with rain today.

Regards
Mike 8)

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident."
Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

As a general rule, the most successful person in life is the person that has the best information.

Buy me a cigar
Happy birthday Grum-may your turbo run well lol.

Brad

Hi Brad.

Things get from bad to worse sometimes, don't they?

After a few hours of intensive reassembly the time came to start her up..... Gave four ignition on's then turned the key..... The engine didn't get above 2000 RPM before a noise developed, took off the rubber hose from turbo to air box to find a lovely looking spiral oil mist being produced.

Blasted thing's a " knacker " !! At this moment I'm kinda doubting myself, but we even cold cranked the engine to get oil pressure and flow to the HP side ! All new HP & LP pipes, gaskets and Copper washers too. The only thing I didn't do was change the oil as it's long life ( fully synthetic ) and has only got 1500 miles on it.

Where do we go from here??

Cheers Graham.

Group: Elite Experimentalist

Buy me some coffee
Hi Brad.

Things get from bad to worse sometimes, don't they?

After a few hours of intensive reassembly the time came to start her up..... Gave four ignition on's then turned the key..... The engine didn't get above 2000 RPM before a noise developed, took off the rubber hose from turbo to air box to find a lovely looking spiral oil mist being produced.

Blasted thing's a " knacker " !! At this moment I'm kinda doubting myself, but we even cold cranked the engine to get oil pressure and flow to the HP side ! All new HP & LP pipes, gaskets and Copper washers too. The only thing I didn't do was change the oil as it's long life ( fully synthetic ) and has only got 1500 miles on it.

Where do we go from here??

Cheers Graham.

Sounds like 1 of two things
1-you got a dud-bad seals or bearings
2-the oil drain pipe is blocked

Im guessing you cleaned out the air filter and box,before fitting the new turbo?.

Brad

Never let your schooling get in the way of your education.

Well
unfortunately housing cracks can be hard to see too [when cold]
and to be honest could be the cause of original failure .[lack of supply oil is big cause of failure]

what a bummer, even pressure testing on the bench at running oil pressure  would not be conclusive
until operating temp was reached

Dye penetrant testing would be necessary  now,

can the oil supply line be rigged so as to pressure test it in the vehicle [while watching for source of leak with engine off ?
in a hope that the oil is coming from outside or a crack in supply line somehow?

yeesh

Feeling your pain over here....

Buy me a cigar
Thanks both.

I've received a response from the seller, also astonished!

How quickly should the oil run through the bearing housing? I did notice that the oil we cold cranked up to the inlet stayed there, didn't drop. This was before fitting the top " Banjo " bolt and washers.

I must confess to not checking the LP side into the crankcase but the return side is 16 mm bore and IMO unlikely to have blocked.

Cheers Graham.

I'm kind of old school, stick a wire in the holes to make sure there clear or blow in the tubing/hoses on everything I fix... just to make sure. Just because it's always that thing we never thought of that always comes full circle to bite us in the rear. I cannot tell you how many times I have reassembled something then had to take it all back apart. The last episode was not making sure the hydraulic pump activation levers on my old 1947 9N were locked into place in the bowels of my tractor gear box. So I had to open the case again, reach through a foot or so of gear oil around the pump and sure enough one side was ready to pop off again. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Comprehend and Copy Nature... Viktor Schauberger

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”― Richard P. Feynman

Graham
is this the offending member?

Buy me a cigar
Hi Chet.

Close....

Have a listen...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTC5QylcWGc

Cheers Graham.

Does anyone ever connect an electric motor to the turbo compressor's shaft, in order to eliminate the "turbo hole" at low rpm?

Buy me a cigar
Does anyone ever connect an electric motor to the turbo compressor's shaft, in order to eliminate the "turbo hole" at low rpm?

Dear Verpies.

I haven't heard of that, but by injecting fuel into the stream just before the turbine will keep em " Spooling " !!

Cheers Graham.

I would imagine there will be no such thing as Turbo Lag in the not too distant future ,Grum was just mentioning a Staggered fuel injector which is the bee's knee's in marine diesels and greatly improves performance and economy.

that is to say it staggers the fuel [thru pulses instead of one shot] during induction and power stroke. hard to imagine how fast those pulses would be at high Rpm.[this tech is working its way into high end cars ATM

doing similar with manifold pressure would be easily managed thru an oversized turbo and waste gate [might be noisy at idle]
or super charger ?

It sounds like your in a real Hurry.....

Do you find yourself salivating while watching this...or is it just me?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZWeNPi2XkE

Everyman decries immorality
I like it..

Mark J

"Your both right and your both wrong.

F1 tech is my domain haha, F1 engines DO use Hydraulic or Pnumatic (depending on the team) to close valves (a few years ago they did both) Under the hybrid era, Valves must be mechanically opened, but there pneumatically closed, so they can be closed faster and harder than a cam would allow, whats the point of all that boost and energy recovery when it all leaks by valves closing as is traditional with a normal cam shaft.

F1 get the best of both worlds, each system has its advantages and disadvantges.

If you do a bit of fishing online you can find photos of F1 engine camshafts, and you aint ever seen lobe profiles like it

On another note i saw a comment about laser ignition this is bollox, and a tech that will never make it, HCCI or Hermerogeneous Charge Compression and Ignition is a spark less way of ignighting fuel, sticking with F1, Merceidies and Ferrari and Honda all use HCCI at some level now mercedies is obviously the best it operates much better, if you listen to a MERC of the throttle in breaking zones and listen carefull you can hear the engines switching from SPARK to HCCI and vice versa, its even more apparant on the HONDA listen to that fucker of throttle sounds like the days of the blown diffusers HCCI is way superior to any other kind of ignition but its only recently the technology has been around that it can be done, for more than 40years HCCI has been on some form of bench.

For those who dont know HCCI is exactly the way Diesel Engines ignite or detonate there fuel, without a spark, just cold fuel into a red hot pocket of air and KABOOM, well petrol and other fuels can be ignighted this way aswell, only its not so simple.

These 2 together pneumatic valves and HCCI is estimated to be between 5 and 25% more efficent all around, more power less fuel, less nocking, less risk of detonation, relativly low cylinder pressures, lower stress on engine components in particular to the piston, where detonation no longer hppens over the pistons center to push down, but burns way more unitform pressing the WHOLE surface of the piston down.

I have no doubt the trolls will soon be here to abuse me so come and get it, ill see if i can find the photos for yall of the cam profiles, and the link to the HCCI information for you all"

Everyman Standing Order 01: In the Face of Tyranny; Everybody Stands, Nobody Runs.
Everyman Standing Order 02: Everyman is Responsible for Energy and Security.
Everyman Standing Order 03: Everyman knows Timing is Critical in any Movement.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 35
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-03-29, 11:49:19