PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-04-16, 05:01:30
News: Check out the Benches; a place for people to moderate their own thread and document their builds and data.
If you would like your own Bench, please PM an Admin.
Most Benches are visible only to members.

Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The Inventions of Willi von Unruh and Hans Coler  (Read 5182 times)

Group: Elite Experimentalist

Smudge,

with the below video i want to show what happens when using the grounded FG and scope leads (forming
a groundloop) when using a 1K load on the output while sweeping (1Khz to 20Mhz) the input.

The signal amplitude and resonance point shifts  when unhooking the scope groundleads and even when
swapping the output probe tip / groundlead.

In the end i switchover to a differential probe measurment for the output, so without a groundloop
showing a fairly flat frequency resonse (up till 50Mhz) across this iron coil setup.

Video here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_ZyWHKXXYU

I do notice that LTspice demands each node to be grounded, so not sure why that is as we then cannot
simulate a floating node like we have here.

Itsu   

Group: Experimentalist

Smudge,

with the below video i want to show what happens when using the grounded FG and scope leads (forming
a groundloop) when using a 1K load on the output while sweeping (1Khz to 20Mhz) the input.

The signal amplitude and resonance point shifts  when unhooking the scope groundleads and even when
swapping the output probe tip / groundlead.

In the end i switchover to a differential probe measurment for the output, so without a groundloop
showing a fairly flat frequency resonse (up till 50Mhz) across this iron coil setup.

Video here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_ZyWHKXXYU

I do notice that LTspice demands each node to be grounded, so not sure why that is as we then cannot
simulate a floating node like we have here.

Itsu

Itsu,

In LtSpice you do not need to necessarily use a zero ground but you can use a very high value resistor to ground instead say like a 10Megohm.  This allows the initial dc tests of the simulator to be done without error and lets you simulate a "floating" ground.

Regards,
Pm

Thanks PM,   good to know, i will try that.

Itsu

Group: Moderator

Itsu,
Here's my take on this.  The image below shows the capacitive coupling across the two coils and how the ground loop plays its part.  You get multiple capacitors from turns to turns whereas I only show one.  So it matters which end of the secondary is grounded giving different results.  For the differential measurement the 10M scope probe kills any ground loop effect.
Smudge

I agree Smudge, and by putting a scope groundlead at the FG ground directly (during input measurements),
one shorts out or shortens this ground path, impacting the resonance frequency (12.5Mhz to 10Mhz).

Thanks Itsu

As this topic has generated some more interest, I'll put the following document back.  I deleted it, as I didn't want to leave stuff in Smudge's bench area if it wasn't wanted.  I guess Smudge will have seen versions of this before, but other people might not have.

This story was syndicated all around the world, and was printed word-for-word in lots of small circulation local newspapers.  It clearly struck a chord with local editors - who probably liked the "humorous" angle, and thought it was something that would appeal to local readers, despite it being about something in a far away country.

« Last Edit: 2024-04-01, 12:05:45 by Havercake »

---------------------------
“Never interrupt someone doing what you said couldn't be done.” -- Amelia Earhart

Pages: 1 [2]
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-04-16, 05:01:30