PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-03-29, 10:56:29
News: Registration with the OUR forum is by admin approval.

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ... 101
Author Topic: Dally, Shark & Ruslan workbench  (Read 218492 times)

Group: Professor

Or do you mean the primary windings spacing?
Yes

...and storage of that rectified voltage via the MOSFET drain capacitance.
Wouldn't that storage be discharged every time the MOSFET turns on ?

Wouldn't that storage be discharged every time the MOSFET turns on ?

Verpies,

The waveforms I have seen do appear to show the MOSFET discharging the drain voltage at every turn-on.

However, the TC secondary is  still ringing during the MOSFET off time and those oscillations, coupled to the primary, recharge the drain capacitance as soon as the MOSFET turns off. 

The TC oscillations increase in amplitude with each pulse sequence so the drain gets charged to a subsequently higher voltage at each MOSFET off time, up to some maximum, apparently.

My take on it...

PW 

Instead of 15kHz or 30kHz I set the freq to 1kHz (5 pulses) to see what things look like here.
Now there is no ringdown anymore from the Tesla as the next 5 pulses start.
Yellow trace is drain Mosfet
light blue trace is probe some cm from Antenna (x20 for actual Volts)

Now there is no ringdown anymore from the Tesla as the next 5 pulses start.

So now the voltage level of the steady states increases every 4-5 bursts.
Phase offset rollover ?
« Last Edit: 2021-07-25, 10:04:32 by verpies »

However, the TC secondary is  still ringing during the MOSFET off time and those oscillations, coupled to the primary, recharge the drain capacitance as soon as the MOSFET turns off. 
I wonder how it would look with the drain diode in place but the TC/Kacher secondary removed.  (secondary slid out of the primary completely).
« Last Edit: 2021-07-25, 10:01:44 by verpies »

Group: Guest
Hallo Itsu  I see now where we have different outcomes.
I follow a bit Alexeew`s setup ..  or at least what i think is like his set up of coils.
I have a 19m Tesla that runs at a higher freq of its own .. but with shnyaga and antenna connected it resonates at about 1,76MHz.
I can put a long ferrite rod (1cm x 15 cm) in de Tesla and than go down to 900kHz res freq (Tes, Shny, Ant).
If i want max output at antenna  than i also have to adjust the puls freq. down to 900kHz.

I noticed that when doing so i got less pulses  because 4 pulses  at 1,7MHz need a less amount of on time than 4 pulses at 900kHz. differently stated: at 900kc 4 pulses take more time than 4 p. at 1,7MHz ( so i had to readjust to get exactly 4 pulses again )
Thats also probably the reason why you use more amps at 25 volts (lower freq bigger on time) than i use (higher freq smaller on time) . ( and also because my former measurements were with 4 pulses and you used 5 i think.

I also noticed that my drain signal is getting les clean with the ferrite rod in the Tesla  .. I think than i also heve to adjust the duty cycle from the pulses a bit for optimum performance.

Furthermore i did some measurements with 4 pulses compaired to 5 pulses. at 1,7MHz Mosfet frequency ( even though res freq of Tes. Shny. Ant. was 1,76MHz as I noticed only later. )

Volt      mA   Vtop drain  Antenna   pulses

25V      60     316V        1760Vpp      4
40        91     480          2990           4
70       150    592          5720           4
100     245    784          8kVpp         4
119     300    864          9040           4

now with 5 pulses notice the drain voltage is not bigger.

25V     69mA  312V       2120           5
40       125     480         3680           5    0,5mm streamer, spark
70       214     588         6440           5    4   mm  ..  but you have to start by touching and then move away to get 4mm
100     314     768         8800           5
119     370     848         9840           5

Utopia Now,

Interesting data, thank you for sharing.
Have you noticed at what voltage sparks become white ? (did they actually ?)

Thanks,
Vasik

We don't have much information, but it seems that this pattern present in both
Stalker's and Alexeev's devices

- ground wire length = Tesla coil length
- gradient coil length = 2x Tesla coil length

Itsu and me perhaps need unwind half of Tesla coil.

Vasik

- ground wire length = Tesla coil length
- gradient coil length = 2x Tesla coil length
The speed of propagation along a coiled wire is not the same as along a straight wire.
In other words: electrical length is not the same as physical length.

Besides the wire's geometry, the properties of its insulation affect the propagation speed, too.

Group: Elite Experimentalist

Utopia,

thanks for the data, so it seems there is some pivot point between 40 and 70V input voltage to boost the sparks / streamers from 0.5 (mine presently) to 4mm.

Perhaps i just need some more input voltage for this pulsed Kacher to deliver.

PW,

Did you have more voltage on the secondary with the diode connected between the primary and MOSFET drain?

Yes, there was, like about 750V, but that was before i installed the 440V TVS, so not sure how it goes with TVS AND drain diode installed.
I do have some 900V MOSFETs ( FQA11N90C like suggested by Utopia), and will look into yours as it looks a good one too.

Thanks for the "ratcheted up" voltage explanation, seems plausible to me.

I see in Utopia his table that the input voltage does not linearly increase the drain voltage, so it might stay within the 900 or 1200V limit of the MOSFETs.

verpies,

i am experimenting with tighter (both diameter wise as spaced wise) primaries, and a 3 turn very tight / spaced one does seem to increase the secondary output (1mm (white) sparks @ 24V).

Will see what happens with "the drain diode in place but the TC/Kacher secondary removed".

Itsu

PW,

Yes, there was, like about 750V, but that was before i installed the 440V TVS, so not sure how it goes with TVS AND drain diode installed.
I do have some 900V MOSFETs ( FQA11N90C like suggested by Utopia), and will look into yours as it looks a good one too.

Thanks for the "ratcheted up" voltage explanation, seems plausible to me.

I see in Utopia his table that the input voltage does not linearly increase the drain voltage, so it might stay within the 900 or 1200V limit of the MOSFETs.

Itsu,

Consider testing your older "wound on plastic" secondary with the your new TC driver...

PW

Vasik,

What wire size and number of turns did did you use for the TC secondary in your replication?

Is your TC similar to Itsu's as well?

Are you still using the self resonating driver (as on your PC layout) and what kind of secondary voltage (spark length...) are you seeing?

PW

original post here: https://www.overunityresearch.com/index.php?topic=4154.msg93856#msg93856

PW,

Due to various reasons my replication moving forward slowly.
I am trying to make "home work" first, get better understanding how things are.

I have wound TC about 38 meters, similar to Itsu's but on plastic tube.
But it seems that I need unwind about half of it.

BTW I think that cardboard could be better than plastic.

Vasik

original post here: https://www.overunityresearch.com/index.php?topic=4154.msg93856#msg93856

PW,

Due to various reasons my replication moving forward slowly.
I am trying to make "home work" first, get better understanding how things are.

I have wound TC about 38 meters, similar to Itsu's but on plastic tube.
But it seems that I need unwind about half of it.

BTW I think that cardboard could be better than plastic.

Vasik

Vasik,

What size wire did you use for your TC secondary?

Why do you think cardboard would be better than plastic?

PW

Vasik,

What size wire did you use for your TC secondary?

Why do you think cardboard would be better than plastic?

PW

PW,

I use 50mm plastic tube.
Cardboard could be better because we don't know what in the plastic.
There could be some resistive additives etc

Vasik

Cardboard is hygroscopic. Damp cardboard is slightly conductive.
The dielectric constants of dry cardboard and plastic are different.

PW,

I use 50mm plastic tube.

Vasik

Vasik,

What was the diameter of the wire used in your TC secondary?

Regarding cardboard versus plastic.  A simple test.  Using a 50mm cardboard tube with 4mm wall thickness, three turns of bare (uninsulated) wire were wound tightly around one end to make contact with the tube.  A second similar coil/contact is placed 10" from the first coil/contact to make contact at that position.

165VDC is applied to one coil/contact and an electrometer is connected to the other coil/contact: 

Measured leakage current through cardboard tube was 5.5 microamps.

A similar test was performed using 2" schedule 40 PVC pipe:

Measured leakage through PVC tube was 3.5 picoamps.

This test was only performed at 165VDC.  Although this says little with regard to the dielectric constant, etc., of the two materials regarding high frequency AC characteristics, I would suspect that at higher voltages and with high frequency AC, leakage would likely be even worse for cardboard than as measured above.

And, as mentioned in a previous post, untreated cardboard is hygroscopic, so leakage, and very likely other AC parameters as well, will vary a great deal with humidity.

PW   

PW:
   Ruslan had shown on his videos that he used sink drain pipe for the grenade/Kacher former tube. That is what I used, also. But, as the grenade and inductor coils can get quite hot, it's best to support the middle as well as the ends of the grenade, so it won't sag. It might melt, but it won't sag...
   So, the drain pipe was used and tested by Ruslan, and it worked for him. It is thinner than the regular pvc pipe.
   The humidity here right now, is 85%. And it's not even raining.  It's not just cardboard that gets damp. Everything does here, and HV runs on the outside of the coils. Mine all full of humidity and salt.
   Most self runner are shown using PVC pipe, although Ruslan used the sink drain pipe.
   If the Kacher is not on the same tube as the grenade, things might work differently. And, if they are too close to each other, that can also affect things.
   There may be a good reason to place both grenade and kacher on the same tube.  But, who knows.

In the video below, you can see that Stalker also used the sink drain pipe, as well as the cardboard Kacher former. At least that's how it looks to me.
Here he is showing how to tune his Kacher circuit to the grenade.
   https://youtu.be/v6FrGTF731o

NickZ
« Last Edit: 2021-07-25, 17:52:10 by NickZ »

What was the diameter of the wire used in your TC secondary?

I can't find 0.75mm wire, for now I am using 0.5mm

Regarding cardboard versus plastic.  A simple test.  Using a 50mm cardboard tube with 4mm wall thickness, three turns of bare (uninsulated) wire were wound tightly around one end to make contact with the tube.  A second similar coil/contact is placed 10" from the first coil/contact to make contact at that position.
165VDC is applied to one coil/contact and an electrometer is connected to the other coil/contact: 
Measured leakage current through cardboard tube was 5.5 microamps.
A similar test was performed using 2" schedule 40 PVC pipe:
Measured leakage through PVC tube was 3.5 picoamps.
This test was only performed at 165VDC.  Although this says little with regard to the dielectric constant, etc., of the two materials regarding high frequency AC characteristics, I would suspect that at higher voltages and with high frequency AC, leakage would likely be even worse for cardboard than as measured above.
And, as mentioned in a previous post, untreated cardboard is hygroscopic, so leakage, and very likely other AC parameters as well, will vary a great deal with humidity.

It is true in a way.
However, usually, if you want make a good Tesla coil, you take good dry cardboard and put a layer of acrylic paint on it.
Then you wound your coil and put few more layers of acrylic paint.
It will prevent humidity issues and significantly improve isolation strength.
Plastic seems to be good solution when you need make it fast, works ok if you have good quality tube.

Vasik

I wonder how it would look with the drain diode in place but the TC/Kacher secondary removed.  (secondary slid out of the primary completely).

Drain diode in place but the TC/Kacher secondary removed.  (secondary slid out of the primary completely)

Screenshot 1 shows first few steady states, screenshot 2 a more expanded view and screenshot 3 a zoomed in view.

Itsu

Not sure this is relevant, but i just want to mention it.

While experimenting with the kacher secondary (old PVC secondary installed now) and primary (tightly wound / spaced), i noticed some oscillations on the secondary / antenna with the yellow probe close by the secondary / antenna but WITHOUT 24V input voltage on the kacher drain, see screenshot 1 where red is the kacher input pulses (4), and in yellow the probe laying on top of the secondary top.
Screenshot 2 is a zoomed in view of those oscillations.

So i was wondering where these oscillations come from as they only occur when the secondary is attached to the ferrite / antenna.
When disconnecting the secondary from the ferrite / antenna, these oscillations are gone.

I have the drain diode inserted again for this experiment.

These oscillations have a frequency of 1250Khz which is the same as the Grenade resonance frequency found earlier so i suspect they come from the grenade.

Video here:  https://youtu.be/f-y9H6dNO9A     

Itsu

Itsu,

I think this is HF oscillations inside grenade captured by "shniaga" coils.
If you place one of MOSFET drain signals on same screen, you can confirm it - oscillations will be in the area of BEMF.

Vasik

One thing which was discussed already, just want to remind about it.
Tesla coil pulses need to be unipolar, antenna coil should be positively charged.
(Supposingly) easy way to achieve this is to add diode.
This is a key to working device, so it is very rarely mentioned.
Attaching two variants which seems reasonable for me, but experiment will show...

Vasik

Itsu:
   I had asked you previously if your new Kacher circuit provides for a DC signal. You mentioned that you didn't expect it to do so.
I would guess that you now have changed your mind? Were you able to get a higher output from your Kacher, yet?

I have shown that if I turn the induction circuit OFF, and leave the Kacher running, that some bulbs (2, 25w bulbs) will stay lit. That surprised me, at first. Since I use on/off switches on both circuits, I can run one circuit, or the other one, or both.
   So, of course the induction circuit pulses can be picked up to a degree at the Kacher coils. If the antenna and ferrite rod coils, are still connected
Not sure if that is the same as what you observed.

Concerning Vasik's diode trick, I'll be waiting to see the results. I hope he's right.

NickZ

Nick,

the new kacher circuit does not provide for a DC signal, see my last video (screenshot below).
The red circled kacher output signal clearly is AC.

And no, with the old PVC tube secondary and tightly wound primary at 24V i do not see a much higher output, but perhaps i need some higher input voltage.

I have seen your "leave the Kacher running" video and i still am amazed by it, so can you still summon this effect?

Concerning Vasik latest post about unidirectional kacher output signal, i have never actually seen that, only AC like signals, so i am doubtful if it is needed and that it is even possible to generate it.

Vasik,

I cannot match those 2 diagrams with a unidirectional kacher output signal, so my question is, are those 2 diagram mods suppose to create these unidirectional kacher signals?

Itsu

Vasik,

I cannot match those 2 diagrams with a unidirectional kacher output signal, so my question is, are those 2 diagram mods suppose to create these unidirectional kacher signals?

Itsu,

yes, may be this way it is better ?

Vasik

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ... 101
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-03-29, 10:56:29